is this normal?

superfin

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Chris
Hello everybody:D ,im back!,I have just realised that my axolotl is very nervouse all of a sudden.Every time i put my hand in to feed him he goes mental and swims in a fluttery daze (sorry about the vocabulary :eek:) and calms down after a few seconds.Is this normal?,if not how can i prevent this?

chris:wacko:

this seems to be sort of normal i mean axies can be very nervous have you done anything latly to make him act like this or have you made him scared in the last couple of days or so....

I don't think I've agitated him but he does seem a bit more speedy then he was weeks ago

How long have you had him? Have you changed anything in his tank? How strong is the water flow? Always worth the time to have a check of the water parameters, but if there are no other "symptoms" or signs of stress, my first inclination would also be to call it normal.

-Eva

Hi Chris,

Naturally any sudden movements can and will distress and or frighten your axolotl. No one really wants to end up as something elses dinner.

Eva to answer your questions, I have had him for roughly 4 months,The water flow is weak, i haven't changed anything in the tank and I will get back to you on the parameters

chris:wacko:

p.s thank you everyone for the helpful advice

Also if the parameters are "fine", has there been a sudden change in temperature or light? Mine always seem to get a bit more...edgy when breeding conditions arise. Especially the males (imagine that).

Hi superfin,

You can first rule out 'tank related' sources of stress which could startle/ or make your axie restless. Water parameters and currents are a good start. How about the temperature? Are there any other animals in that same tank that could be aggressive?

If your axie appears twitchy or has unusual writhing movements, it could be a parasite problem.

If there are no obvious signs of stress or illness, sudden vibrations tend to cause the axies to go into startle mode. Someone entering the room can send vibrations through the footsteps to the tank etc. Switching on the lights in a dark room can also startle the axie.

Cheers

Hi Chris,

I honestly am also inclined to find your axolotl's behavior normal. Even some of mine that I have raised from eggs "freak out" occasionally. I even have one pouter, he will hide under his cave for hours if, say, I nudge him with the siphon when cleaning. It just never hurts to check.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back