lumps in stomach and gravel eating!

velcor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i am new to this site but i really need your help!

i recently got two axolotles a black and pink one.

the black one is eatein perfectly every single day (i've only had them a two weeks now)
he;s eating live shrimp and blood worm and bacon!

but

the pink one...ate on the first day i got him but since then hasnt eaten a thing! i noticed he has been passing up the gravel ...yes i know i shouldnt have put gravel in but i am changing it tomoz for sand!

but i noticed that when he goes up for air there are big lunps in his stomach and is dark in colour. could this be all the gravel he has swallowed and just not passing up? i am now worried as he seems to be coming up for air alot more and also along with the not eating for a week now! wot can i do?

many thanks if you could advise me xx

Hi.
Gravel can cause problems and I think you are right to remove it as soon as possible. Hopefully your axolotl will be able to pass it all. It may be worth separating the axolotl so you can closely monitor what it is passing and eating. What sort of temperature is your water at the moment?

Hi Velcor,

By eating gravel it's likely that your axolotl is suffering from impaction. While impacted, the axolotl cannot and will not eat.

To aid the axolotl in passing the gravel, I would fridge him. Keeping him isolated in the fridge will also allow you to monitor what is coming in and going out.

Fridging procedure:
  • Set fridge for at least 5 degrees celcius, no lower than 5.
  • Prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water.
  • Pop axie in tub and ensure the lid is secure. Cover container with a teatowel so the fridge light coming on and off does not disturb the axolotl.
  • Keep some dechlorinated water in the fridge - this will be used for water changes to keep the axie at a constant temperature.
  • The axie will need a complete water change every day while in the fridge.
Have you considered feeding the axolotls earthworms? Earthworms are an excellent staple and provide all the nutrition an axolotl needs.

Hi,

I agree with Jacq, It sounds from your description to be impaction in which case a short stay in the fridge is the best tonic.

Yes, fridge your white axolotl,
I'm not sure but i don't think bacon would be that good because it's really fatty.
Your axolotl should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back