my first axolotl BOB

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey everyone here are some pictures of my new axolotl bob (although i think it's a girl!)
His tank where he is housed with a plec:
mi2bfn.jpg

Full length picture:
2ev9kco.jpg

Her head:
302ne45.jpg

I also want to get a second one but not the same colour and that is all the petshop has at the moment :(
Oh and thats i new tank that my girlfriend bought me :D
So what do you all think :confused:

Hi Jadore,

The axolotl is cute, the tank is pretty and so are the plants. However, i would recommend you change your gravel to either bare bottomed tank or sand. Gravel can cause impaction when ingested.

There are many other colours of axolotls available, do you have any particular preference in mind?

Cheers

Hello and welcome to the world of axolotls! Your tank looks lovely, you might like to add an extra hiding place for your axie, also it is not a good idea to keep a plec with an axolotl. Being a 'sucker' type of fish it may well attach itself onto your axie and cause a serious injury, also I'm not sure but don't plecs have spines? If your axie tried to eat the plec, imagine the damage they could cause.

Hey I was thinking either orange, back or green, so basically any colour except the one i have!
As for the plec he is about twice as big as the axolotl (you can maybe make him out on the left of the aquarium photo) so there is no chance of him eating bob and bob is too small for the plec to latch on too and I am used to keeping fish so i'm pretty sure he is ok with him. I am a little worried about the spines incase bob clicmbs ontop of him but the plec is only temporary as i got him for free and the tank in the picture is the only one i have here at college. the next time i go home the plec will be going into a larger community aquarium.

Also are guppys good feeder fish? I already breed them at home and often have a surplus of them which i usually feed to my larger fish but could i put them in with the axolotl? I don't mind if he eats them but i also don't mind if he does.

Hi jadore,

Kerry very rightly pointed out that Plecs are really not an axolotl's best friend. Axolotls have very sensitive skin that can get damaged if the pleco decides to have a taste. Even worse, if the axolotl tried to swallow the pleco, even though it may not be successful, the spikes will cause trauma. It really is best if you would keep them separate.

Have a look at these sites. It also tells you why you should not have gravel in the tank.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/catastrophes.shtml

Guppies are suitable feeder fish provided they are quarantined for 30 days prior.

Cheers

I will be taking the gravel out of the tank too and replacing it with large stones. The problem is i am not at home and i'm in college but i have large stones and another tank for the plec and all at home but i will not be able to do any of that for about another month untill i go home again.
And as i already said there is no way that the axolotl could eat a plec 2X or more the size of him so i think and hope they will be ok untill i can get the plec to another tank but there is nothing i can do untill then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back