Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating and swelling

mli

Reaction score
My axie is sick again - I have had her in the fridge fore the last month because off an infection , and she was almost ready to go back in the aquarium, and then yesterday she started floating half way on her side because of a swelling on the side.
Poor thing - what is up with her now???
Mli

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mli,

Odd that she develops a problem in such a closely monitored envoronment as a fridge container. What kind of infection brought her to the fridge in the first place?

-Eva

mli

Reaction score
Here are two picks of the swelling.

It was a fungal infection arround the gills. She has been in a bad condition as long as I have taken care of her - 4 months - so I am really trying hard to get her better.

Attachments

• DSC00275.jpg
    DSC00275.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC00278.jpg
    DSC00278.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 207

optimist

Reaction score
I'd definitely put her back in the fridge, and try to find a vet who knows about axolotls. When you say about "putting back in the aquarium" is that in with other axolotls? Are the other axolotls ok? Are there any other creatures in the aquarium? Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mli,

I agree with Optimist, I think this axolotl needs to be checked and x-rayed by a vet.

The x-ray will determine if there is an obstruction in the axie's digestive tract. Those lumps look very much like something may be stuck in there - has this axolotl ever been on gravel?

If you could very gently touch those lumps on the side, are they hard or soft?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mli,

Thanks for the photos. Would you be able to also provide photos showing both lateral (side) views?

Follow the good advice given to continue fridging your axolotl. The condition definitely requires a vet for full diagnostic work up.

Impaction is a possibility and radiographs will be able to pick up some forms of mineralised obstruction. However there are other causes of lesions and herniation similar to that clinical presentation as well as other obstructions that may not be picked up radiographically. Some tumours or neoplasia especially if affecting the peritoneal (abdominal) cavity (Inside out) may not show up on radiographs but can show the protrusion externally on the skin.

A bacterial infection can also cause lesions to appear like that, although most aquatic species get gram negative type infections more commonly, abscesses and granulomas can still develop. Some types of fungal infection, embedded foreign body (such as from a previous trauma) as well as bacteria like mycobacteria can all cause granulomas to form. They can take on that irregular, poorly circumscribed nodular lesion as seen the photos.

Your vet might perform a fine needle aspirate to obtain some cellular material from the lesions to look under the microscope. Staining and cytology will help distinguish the underlying cause, such as neoplasia (abnormal cells), abscess (inflammatroy cells) or chronic granuloma (fiibrous tissue).

Cheers

mli

Reaction score
Thanks fore the advice. I will find at vet as soon as posible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1