AxSA - Adelaide

AxSA

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys and gals,

The name is Mark, I'm a new Axy owner from Adelaide, SA

Just bought my fantastic new Axolotl, George (except I don't know if it's a boy yet :p) and have set him/her up in a nice little tank.

Bit worried about his constant runs to the surface to get oxygen, have replaced water twice this week but I'm hoping to find an answer on these fantatsic forums!

I'll post some pics of the little fella soon!

See ya round!

- Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum!

If you could post some photos of both your axolotl and his tank setup in the axolotl section of the forum - this will help us ascertain if there are any problems. If the axolotl is constantly scrambling for the surface in a frantic state - there may be an issue with the water quality (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH) or the tank environment (Water currents, substrate, temperature, etc) that will need to be addressed - all of these elements are key to an axolot's health.

(I'll apologise to him in advance if George is actually a Georgina ;))

Axolotls do 'on occasion' go to the surface for a gulp of air as they do possess a rudimentary set of lungs, this will usually be a controlled swim. Axies breath mainly through their gills and skin however, if he is constantly frantically gulping at the surface for air then there is possibly a problem with the water quality.

If you post a photo of George's cloaca region (the area behind the rear legs to the base of the tail) - we can assist in sexing him or her.

We're looking forward to seeing pictures of George! We love photos here.

If you have any questions, please join us in the forum - unlike our axies we don't bite :D.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Sorry, George isn't exactly thrashing around, maybe the odd fifteen to twenty minutes or so is when he swims up for air, quite casually too, so maybe it is fairly natural. I have noticed he doesn't tend to do it when the light is off though, which I find interesting.

I have changed the water twice in the past week and he seems quite content, although I'm not sure if the current in the tank is too strong or not, the tank previously housed small fish until a few weeks ago. I will be picking up a liquid kit tomorrow to check nitrate etc.

Here's a couple of photo's, one of his new 'crib' and one of his nether regions :p

I recently added all the plants and he seems way more relaxed and at home with them in the tank than before.

I love this little guy! :)

Attachments

• george_at_home.jpg
    george_at_home.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 330
  • george_or_georgina.jpg
    george_or_georgina.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 434
Your axie looks like a juvenile, how old/long is he? If he's only a youngster it won't be possible to identify the gender yet.

Love the tank by the way, and whether it's a he or a she, it looks like one happy, healthy axie!

Thanks Kerry,

How old I'm not exactly sure (the aquarium I got him from has no idea about Axolotl's) but I assume he is still young.

I just measured him up (lucky he like's to lay across the front of the glass :p) and he's 5 and a half inches long at present.

On a side note, the aquarium gave me beef heart to feed him on, I assume this is okay from what I've read so far :)

Lovely tank, and George is a handsome specimen. I mainly feed mine live earthworms (organic, of course).

Cheers Optimist,

Yes I think i may have to get a few worms to give him a different meal choice, see what he picks when I present him the options :p

I am definitely thinking that when we move into our new house (currently in construction) I'll set up a bigger tank and get him a gal to get jiggy with :p

cute lil guy you got there....

nice set up....

Doing a total water change is not recommended. Hopefully that isn't what you mean. Lovely setup!

Cheers B00f!

No no Jennewt, I wouldn't do a total water change. I used to have cichlids so understand water chemistry enough to not do a silly thing like that :p

I am very excited by the fact you guys love his setup, I got plans for a bigger one in the new place, with the same 'beachy' feel but lots of little 'hide-aways' for George and his new girlfriend :p

This tank will then have a new role, like maybe farming worms to feed my new Ax-Army MMWMWWWUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA :p

hahaha not a problem. i really like the wood against that sand, goes really well..

mainly like it cos your lil guys looks exactly like my lil guy (RIP) :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back