2 axolotl's... what's better?

KYLZE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
KYLZE
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can please tell me what's better...

I have 1 male at the moment. Would like to get another one.
Just deciding on male or female. I had a female in there and they didn't breed.
But she got sick and died. So just wondering do 2 males fight?
Some one on here said not to get a male and female coz they'll breed too much and it leaves the female looking scruffy. Any advice would be great!

Thanks.

Hi Kylze,

If a male and female axolotl are kept together in optimum tank conditions they will very likely breed. The female will lay continuously for as long as the males keep dropping spermotaphores for her to pick up, and if she is not seperated from the male who will continue to drop his loads, her body can get worn out (laying eggs use a great deal of energy) and she can get sick as a result.

Preventing axolotls of opposite genders from breeding is almost impossible. The only way to stop them is to keep them in seperate tanks or to use a tank divider - some axies have been known to 'smuggle their loads' across this barrier though - they can be quite determined :rolleyes:.

If you have a male, I would get another male.

But this is only if you have sufficient tank space. The recommended tank length is 18 inchs per axolotl (ie. the tank should be at least 3 foot long for two axolotls).

Any new addition to the tank must be quarantined in isolation for 30 days before being introduced to your axolotl, this prevents possible disease the new comer may be carrying being spread to your present axie.

:) Okay, we'll get a male then around the same size.
I was looking on the for sale section on here. But there's none in or near WA. Some ppl have offered shipping them to me. What do you think of shipping? Are they harmed? I've looked at fish shops here and they aren't very nice looking. Any other suggestions?

We have a 70L tank. We had 2 in there before and they seem fine. How come all the ones on this site look so much bigger? The 3 that I've owned have all been little, I guess it's coz they're young. The male we've got now is the biggest one we've had and he's about 18cm.

I don't have a spare tank to keep the new one isolated for the 30 days. I have a large bucket that he stays in while I'm doing water changes. How often would I need to do a water change if it was in there for 30 days and how much water needs to be changed?

Thanks.

:) Okay, we'll get a male then around the same size.
I was looking on the for sale section on here. But there's none in or near WA. Some ppl have offered shipping them to me. What do you think of shipping? Are they harmed? I've looked at fish shops here and they aren't very nice looking. Any other suggestions?

I'm fairly lucky, I buy my axies from a reputable aquarium in Melbourne.

Axolotls are shipped fairly frequently with no hassles if the sender knows what they are doing.

Here is an extract from Jennifer Macke's 'Shipping Caudates' article:

"Shipping larvae (or axolotls). This is the hardest stage in which to ship, but it can be done. Method 1 (for small larvae): Put the larvae in a plastic soda bottle filled completely to the top with tank water. Pack in a box and ship as quickly as possible. The larvae can die from lack of oxygen if they are too crowded, so it is better to err on the side of sending fewer. Do not include plants, because in darkness plants consume, rather than produce oxygen. Method 2 (for small or large larvae/axolotls): Place water and an equal volume of air into a 1-gallon zipper-seal bag. Seal shut, then seal it again with packaging tape. Place into one or two addition bags, again sealing them doubly with packaging tape, in addition to the zipper seal. Pack snugly in a box."

We have a 70L tank. We had 2 in there before and they seem fine. How come all the ones on this site look so much bigger? The 3 that I've owned have all been little, I guess it's coz they're young. The male we've got now is the biggest one we've had and he's about 18cm..

Axolotls can grow any size from 7 to 14 inchs. How long is the 70 litre tank? Tank length is more important than tank depth. It sounds fine for two axie juveniles, but I wouldn't put three in. As the axies get bigger, you may need to consider upgrading the tank.

I don't have a spare tank to keep the new one isolated for the 30 days. I have a large bucket that he stays in while I'm doing water changes. How often would I need to do a water change if it was in there for 30 days and how much water needs to be changed?.

The axie will be fine in the bucket during the quarantine. He or she will need their water changed 100% each day, I would fill the bucket as much as possible to help dillute the axies wastes, and the container will need a secure lid. The bucket should be kept somewhere cool and safe (ie. if you have a cat, don't trust the cat).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back