Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ACF's and mossy frogs

xenopus

Reaction score
would it be possible to keep african clawed frogs and mossy frogs together?? to quote Robin a guest here talking about mixing species "and I understand the most conservative view says never mix anything, but I would like to take some calculated risks, if there's a reasonable chance that it would work. I'd like some well-informed opinions, please. :) " this is how it looks in my head 55 gallon already set up tank full (of water) with african clawed frogs ,now enter in a "topper" of same size made out of wood and/or plexiglass on top of the aformentioned 55 gallon and some mossy frogs as well as hiding spots, outcropings ,plants ,and floating areas of course. yes there would be issues about closing the tank off well enough for the mossy frogs not to get out and alowing for the filter that hangs off the back but if i could make the housing work do you think the adult mossy frogs and adult male ACF's live together with minimal risk ?? i hope no ones bothered by my rambling because while no i dont have the money to do all this now but if its possible i could start saving and planning thank you for your time also please see "swollen finger" thread started by me as i need help with that issue for my ACF

Abrahm

Reaction score
I'm going to say that this is a bad mix, beyond even geographic and habitat concerns.

Xenopus are one of those species you really don't want to mix with anything. They are voracious feeders and known asymptomatic carriers of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd) the fungus that causes the deadly chytridiomycosis. Since mossy frogs, Theloderma corticale, tend to spend a considerable amount of time in water they would be exposed to the predatory activity from the Xenopus and such close quarters makes transfer of Bd, if present, nearly certain.

dragonwalker

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest this either. I work with both species (separately) and Xenopus are extremely aggressive and go for anything that enters the water, so I would not trust them with the mossys. Mossy frogs are quite shy frogs and seem to get stressed easily.

And although the mossys like to sit in water, I think that the depth that you are describing, even with platforms, could be a challenge.

Also, as mentioned, the chytrid fungus is also an issue, seeing that they believe that the AFCs are the main vector that spread the disease in the first place.

Rachel

Last edited:

xenopus

Reaction score
Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd) ive never heard of this could this transfer to fish or people or anything else coming into contact with them or their water obviously it could with the mossy frogs so is it just frogs then or.... ??

dragonwalker

Reaction score
It is the scientific name of the Chytrid fungus. It grows on the skin of amphibians, and stops their ability to absorb oxygen, which basically suffocates them. I am no expert, I am sure other animals can carry it, but it does not cause as much harm, although it it grew on the gills of fish, it would have the same effect.

I have never heard of it in regards to anything but amphibians as this is where it has made the news, sweeping through regions of Central America, Australia and even North America, decimating a high percentage of the amphibians in those regions. Hence why places like El Valle in Panama, and a similar set up in Costa Rica have been built, to act as an ark to save as many individuals as possible until the danger passes (which could be decades).

The good news is that it is easily treated if you get to the frog/sal in time, but unfortunately, once a disease-free individual is released again they just get reinfected and it does not take long for them to die.

xenopus

Reaction score
thank you both for your quick and very informative answers they were very helpful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!