New juvie! Happy but wondering...

Fiona1504

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Fee
Ok. Everyone be really happy for me! I've just gotten a juvenile axie, and my heart that broke in December when my other axie died might just get a little fixed again.

Question: this little squirt is about 2 1/2 inches-3 inches long. He looks pretty fine--gills are lovely & fluffy, all his limbs are there, etc. He got really jostled around coming home (I nearly got into an accident when someone cut me off), and the little tub I had him in tipped over at one point, even. Should I do anything special to settle him down? My last axie was some bigger when I got him, so I'm not really sure of any protocols for a littler one. I want this little soul to be alright quite desperately!:happy:

Hi.
Congratulations on your new axolotl. I would just leave the axolotl alone for the first few days, let it explore and get used to its new home. If the tank is in a busy area maybe cover part of the tank with a blanket. As it is still little offer food ..live worms ( cut if too big)..but don't make too much of a fuss. I am sure it will settle quickly and happily.

Just wanted to say a quick Congratulations! Bellabelloo is completely right. Lots of darkness and quietness for a couple of days will do wonders to settle the little fella down.

Hi Fee,

If you are really worried you can always try fridging your axolotl. The cooler temperatures slow their metabolism and will help them destress. Otherwise Eva is right as usuall and a covered tank and time should achieve the same result.

Good Luck

Excellent :) Any chance of some photos?

Hi:cool: just want to say congrats on the new resident.And there is not much to add onto the others posts except good luck:happy:

My daughter was just saying that I ought to put up a photo or two of baby Sweetie. I'll try to do that, 'cause he is too cute!

Congrats! I do hope your axolotl calmed down quickly. Mine does that too when i axcidentally knocks his tank or something.Does that go away with age, like when they get bigger do they get bolder? Hope so good luck anyway.:happy:

Hi Savannah,

Axies do get startled by sudden vibrations and light. Ideally we don't want to expose them to these scares if we can.

However that said, i do think as axies grow older in the same environment, they do get acclimatised to certain routine 'vibrations' or 'light' and no longer react as strongly. My axies used to dart about when my dogs sit up on the chair to look at the tank. They don't paw at the tank or anything but just the presence of them there sometimes scare the axie. However as time goes by, my axies could no longer be bothered by their presence, merrily doing their own thing.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back