Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

euthanasia for my axolotl

allison pasley

Reaction score
hi. i'm newbie to the site and wish i had have known about it years ago.
one of my axos is not well and i want to euthanise it.i read on the link someone else was referred to about the best ways to do it and it said that you can use ethanol.
i wondered if anyone has done this and was it successful and seemingly painless for the axo?

b00f

Reaction score
take it to the vet...

its easier, and this ensures its done correctly and humanly..

allison pasley

Reaction score
i would take it to the vet except;
she doesn't have any experience with axo's and i think a needle would be a stressful excercise,also we had her euthanise our dog on monday and i think she was a bit more upset than we were.
thanks for your input but i'm really just looking for someone who can answer my question.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
you have got to love the search function...

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

please print that out or send it to your vet and have her follow directions? she can do that right? It'd be nice if she could cause mine can't.

I'm really sorry you need to put your axolotl down. My best to you and your family.

Last edited:

allison pasley

Reaction score
euthanasia methods

i have a sick axo which i want to euthanise.
i would like to hear from anyone who has had experience(s) with doing this or having it done by a vet,so i can decide which way to go.;injection-ethyl alcohol or other options.
please don't comment if it is just to say 'go to the vet'
thanks

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Re: euthanasia methods

you have got to love the search function...

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

please print that out or send it to your vet and have her follow directions? she can do that right? It'd be nice if she could cause mine can't.

I'm really sorry you need to put your axolotl down. My best to you and your family.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: euthanasia methods

I have used ethyl alcohol and benzocaine. Both ways seem to be reasonably gentle.

optimist

Reaction score
What an awful decision to have to take. I keep tropical fish, and an accepted method of "euthanasing" them is to add oil of cloves to their water. The first couple of drops makes them sleep, subsequent drops stop them breathing. Perhaps someone on here (I know there are vets etc using this site) could tell you whether that method would work and be humane for an axolotl?

Abrahm

Reaction score
What an awful decision to have to take. I keep tropical fish, and an accepted method of "euthanasing" them is to add oil of cloves to their water. The first couple of drops makes them sleep, subsequent drops stop them breathing. Perhaps someone on here (I know there are vets etc using this site) could tell you whether that method would work and be humane for an axolotl?

I would avoid the oil of cloves. I'm not a vet, but I wouldn't want to be testing an undocumented euthanasia technique on my amphibians.

Sharon linked to an article that was written by the zookeeper of the herpetological section of a zoo. He has plenty of practical experience and education in the matter and I would trust his opinion. Jennewt also has years of experience and provides a valuable opinion.

mitchell101

Reaction score
Do we even know what's wrong with it? It may be curable or may just fix up in time.
Isn't this a bit drastic if we don't even know what's wrong with it. Or have i missed what's wrong with it somewhere? Could you post pictures or have you already used euthanasia on it?
Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1