Tank Remodel to Come

Robert777

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Robert
As expected, the gravel is very hard to clean and as a result I am going to go out and buy some sand this weekend and redo my tank (again >.< ).

I used to have a big fake tree stump on the one side out of the water, but removed it along with a couple fake plants. My newt seems to be a LOT more active, I'm not sure if its because there are so few places to hide, or because now there is a lot more room, but I'm happy about it.

I am planning on using white sand, dwarf baby tears or four leaf clover, and some taller plants.

Last time I went to the aquarium shop to get a light for my plants they gave me a "Terrarium" light and I thought "Oh, well that was easy" but then all my plants died, so this time I am going to be sure to look it over carefully.

My question is, Is there a way to create a type of island out of the water without it looking awful? xD I need something I can place food on (mealworms) and something that is flat.

All help is appreciated! :D
I will update this weekend to show what I am going to do.

Attachments

• Tank and Newt 012.jpg
    Tank and Newt 012.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 568
  • Tank and Newt 013.jpg
    Tank and Newt 013.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Tank and Newt 016.jpg
    Tank and Newt 016.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 347
  • Tank and Newt 018.jpg
    Tank and Newt 018.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Tank and Newt 021.jpg
    Tank and Newt 021.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Tank and Newt 022.jpg
    Tank and Newt 022.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 326
What species is your newt? Though the tank looks nice it seems to me you have way too little water to be able to keep water quality eficiently. You see, the more water, the better for the newt and the better for you, because everything becomes easier. Mealworms are a pretty mediocre meal...there are far better things you could be feeding it really...

My newt is a cynops.orientalis female. I am hoping to raise the water level higher when I remodel the tank, there is a bit of water though, its a 25 gallon tank, but I know its still not enough. >.<

I currently feed her crickets and frozen bloodworms, but its hard to find anything else up here. My local petsmart doesnt sell worms, and their supplies of "fresh" mealworms is sparce and expensive. I thought that I could use the freeze dried ones, but I guess theyre no good. They do have added vitamins and such though.

Is there anything else I could be feeding her?

Bloodworms and blackworms are very good foods for aquatic animals. Earthworms are the best though.
Waxworms are a good choice too. Dead easy to culture, the only drawback is that you cannot abuse them because they are rich in fat. Still better than mealworms though. There´s an article on Caudata Culture on foods for caudates, you should chek it out.

Thanks for your help! :D

Is there any way you could think of that I can make an island in my new tank?

You should swap from mealworms to bloodworms or balckworms, for sure.

Regarding the island, you could have a floating island made of cork, or use a commercially available turtle dock.

The set up in this thread uses cofe tree branches to create a mangrove effect (scrowl down as the pictures on the top of the threads are not representatives).

Another, more demanding, way to create a stunning land area is to use drift wood and great stuff, like the one in that thread. This other thread shows the same set up once established.

Also, this method is maybe not as aestheticly pleasing, but it is very space efficient.

Very nice set up I have to say. I do agree with Holding2K9, with a tank that size I don't think it would hurt to add ATLEAST a male to the mix.

I guess I'll consider getting a male, although I have never seen a cynops orientalis in a petstore. I guess I can look into getting one from a member here. I know there are two members very close by that both keep c.orientalis.

Thanks Aramcheck for the links to those pictures, it was very helpful. :D

Update!!

I went out and got my plants and some Fluorite because they were all out of nice sand. ;_;

I am hoping to keep the Fluorite as clean as I can. I bought a nifty little siphon hose thing. xD It works nicely and I am going to use it regularly.

The gravel is in an awaiting my plants,

Saggitaria
Brazilian Sword
Star Plant

I am going to plant them before adding water because I find it impossible to plant them with water in the way. ;P I just need to go out today and grab a couple pieces of cypress wood. :D

Wish me luck!

edit: pictures wont show up @_@

Last edited:
Beware of cypress....it contains phenols which are highly toxic for amphibians.

Beware of cypress....it contains phenols which are highly toxic for amphibians.

I think cypress is fine - it's a very popular wood for aquariums and terrariums. Do you mean juniper?

Really? As i recall cypress is very rich in phenols(which makes it´s wood amazingly longlasting)....and i always thought phenols were toxic to amphibians and reptiles.
At least that was my reasoning...
Sorry if i´m wrong :S

I have some recently dead cypress wood so does any one know if there wil be any problem with a normal wood treatment or will it need special care?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back