Jumping bugs? Clear growth?

juca1658

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
juca1658
Xochitl, my axie, HATES filters with a passion.
She throws a fit if I turn any filter on even on low.
She starts swimming around like crazy bumping into things.
And she just doesn't stop.
...So no filter.
I syphon up to 20% of her water concentrating on left over food and wastes.
Treated water goes in...
This goes on every other day.
Any left over food gets syphoned out when she's done eating.
She usually eats all her food though, and temperatures stay at a constant 65 degrees Farenheit.

Now, I find myself having to take any decorations out once every two weeks to clean
because I start seeing microscopic clear things growing on surfaces of artificial plants and such.
They look like hyphae of mold, but clear.
If I put a running syphon on the growth, nothing happens; it doesn't get sucked into the tube.
It is sort of slimy to the touch, and my axie doesn't seem to act or look any different.
Even my ghost shrimp ignore it.

ALSO... there are these tiny little underwater clear bugs that stay near the surface
and seem to "jump around" underwater. :mad:
Their bodies have three segments: thorax, and two fan-like antennae
They're reeaaaaaly tiny.

I'm thinking what is this microscopic life that I'm discovering in my tank?
Is it harmful?
Where is it coming from?
A couple ideas: live tubifex, frozen bloodworms, water pollutants, ghost shrimp,
last month's feeder fish, air pollutants, .... my axie????
What could be done to prevent these wierd growths without upsetting my axie?

Any ideas?

Just a quick reply because i have to go. That mold stuff is actually good for your axolotls. It is good bacteria that sticks to all surfaces. Do not wash your decorations as this gets rid of the bacteria. The bacteria eats the ammonia, nitrate and nitrate and keeps the water healthy. If you clean your decorations you are killing the bacteria. Only clean one or two decorations at a time and only if you really have to. Bugs may be mosquito larvae but I'm not sure. Could you post a picture of the bugs. It may also be some microscopic bugs in your water that have formed and grown over time.
Mitch.

I'm actually thinking that your water isn't 'healthy' enough for your axolotl.
The clear 'mould' you're seeing is probably fungus gripping onto ornaments and sometimes the substrate. Have a look at this link and see if it helps http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml.
Both axolotl.org and caudata.org have usefull information on housekeeping axolotls.
For the bugs, have a look here and see if you can ID anything http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters2.shtml.

When did you last test your water for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite/pH..?
Your 'lotl probably has no issue with a filter, it might just be the circulation of water with high ammonia content that stresses her out. As well as that you might want to try obstructing the water flow by positioning the filter so it faces the side of the tank, or even some rocks.
If this is not possible you might want to look into a spray bar which can usually be purchased as an 'add on' for regular filters.

If you do concentrate on taking out uneaten foods/wastes then 'last months' feeder fish and tubifex worms shouldn't be an issue.

Hi Juca,

Mitchell and Inkozana have both given you excellent advice.

The advantages of having a filter really outweighs any cons. Besides, mechanical filtration of solid debris, a filter also has biological filtration (beneficial bacteria) and some even have chemical filtration (such as activated carbon and zeolite). In all, a filter would help tremendously with your water parameters and general cleanliness, and that is all around the clock. It would also greatly facilitate in your cleaning regime. I would really advice you to have the filter back up and running. Follow inkozana's recommendations on reducing water currents. It is possible that excessive currents or vibrations from the filter may make your axie initially apprehensive but having the flow rate reduced would help. Do you also monitor your water parameters regularly? Like Inkozana suggested, unhealthy water parameters may be the root cause of the axie's stress.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

Mitchell gave very good advice on not to excessively scrub your tank surfaces and decorations. The slimy layer you feel are colonies of beneficial bacteria that you want to preserve. It is possible the layer you are seeing is a combination of the bacteria as well as algae. Most tanks will get a certain amount of algae if there is a light source (be it sunlight or from lamps). The algae itself besides 'cosmetically' displeasing, really has a lot of benefits if you choose to leave them there. They can help prevent ammonia spikes for eg. much like normal aquarium plants, by utilising them as a food source. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Take a look at the tank critters article to see if any of the images resemble the 'insect' you are seeing. How about take some photos to post here?

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back