Fallen

thirdeye96

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey I was moving my axie back into his tank today after a salt bath, got him 5cm aboce the water and he just suddenly jumped out of my hands. He fell about 30cm onto wood then fell another 20 onto a wet towel. There are pictures showing his injuries, cut tail, regurgitating food straight after. He came to the surfce for air it looked like too.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

SI851324Large.jpg

He regurgitated all this minus the bloodworms

SI851335Large.jpg

tear and blood in tail tip

SI851352Large.jpg

My poor guy.

I feel like such a bad owner

Hi Thirdeye,

Axolotls are slippery little devils and can be quite strong when thrashing about, don't beat yourself up about it, it can happen to the best of us.

Just keep an eye on the tail for fungus or infection, as long as the water is kept cool and the water quality is good, the wound should heal fine.

He may have just regurgitated the food due to the shock of falling.

Give him a couple of days to get over the shock and offer food each day. I would cover two thirds of the tank with a towel to keep it dim, this will help him relax and feel secure.

May I ask why you were giving him a saltbath? I see no sign of fungus in these photos.

Hi Thirdeye,

Fortunately at least based on the photos, the injury doesn't appear too bad, at least from visual assessment. Follow Jacq's advice.

May i also ask how do you handle your axie? Do you just cup it in your hands to transport it?? A safer and easier method ito catch your axie is by coaxing it into a container and then quickly cap a lid on. Besides avoiding contact with the axie's delicate skin and gills, which can be easily damaged, the axie is also more securely transported this manner and is less stressful.

Cheers.

PS. A lovely deep chocolate yellow coloured axie. Unique colour. :happy:

I used a 2L bottle of water cut in half longwise so its like a little pool then I clamp my hands over the top of where he is.

Cheers for the advice.

Jacq ill see if I can get some better photos. He has had white tips on his gills for the last couple of weeks and in the last few days they've definitely grown.

Thanks for the advice. Poor little guy terrified me too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back