Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

keeping spotted salamander larvae seperate?

salamandergal

Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is best to keep spotted salamander larvae (newly hatched) in seperate containers or is it not necessary. One person has told me it is ok to keep these together in a group.
Any other opinions? Thank you ahead of time.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is best to keep spotted salamander larvae (newly hatched) in seperate containers or is it not necessary. One person has told me it is ok to keep these together in a group.
Any other opinions? Thank you ahead of time.
As with most (all?) Ambystoma larvae, keep them well fed and you shouldn't have any problems keeping them together.

salamandergal

Reaction score
lazymut and John Clare,
Thank you for the replies!
I'm keeping the eggs in spring water in a plastic shoe box.
The larvae are still developing, dont exactly know when they will hatch. One looks like it is part way out of the egg. Do I need to include an air stone w/pump in at some time? Or should the water stay still and undisturbed until the larvae have hatched and have been to feeding on live food?
Some people just seem to keep the larvae in small containers without aeration. They just change the water frequently.
As you might be able to tell, I'm new to this!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The one that's slightly out of the egg I would just leave alone. "Aeration" is not usually needed, but it shouldn't do any harm. I have a couple of clusters of what are either spotted, mole (I want them to be mole) or tiger salamander eggs and I've been keeping them without aeration for the last 5 days (when I acquired them).

salamandergal

Reaction score
Hi John,
Due to the unexpected number of new hatchlings, just a few hours ago,
I've had to get pond water.
Unfortuantely it was from an ornamental pond at a garegen store,( it does have algae)so I dont know if there is anything in the water for them to eat.
I had no idea that they would hatch so soon!!
How long do i have before they get real hungry? I can go over to a few other ponds tomorrow, though.
Does pond water have to be kept at a certain temperature under light to keep the dapne going? I have light and a heating pad under the conatainer. Please let me know soon, thanks!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
There are articles at Caudata Culture on raising micro foods. Please read them.

newtamander

Reaction score
For the water I think you may want to consider the fact that from keeping these larvae I found that they are VERY sensitive to ammonia levels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!