Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFB Escaped, Will he be Alright?

TLaw

Reaction score
This morning I went to check on my newt, only to discover him missing. After a couple of minutes he crawled out from behind the desk, I was lucky to find him.

I'm not sure how long he was out. About 10 hours went by between checking him at night and finding him on the floor. He was a bit dusty, and a bit dry, but not too bad. So I put him back in his tank and secured any possible escape routes.

What I want to know is, should I be worried about his survival now? I have no idea how long he was out, so could he have gotten to dry? He shed a bit of skin this evening, is that a normal consequence of drying? Also, I'm worried about him getting injured from a possible fall. The desk his tank was on was about 3 feet high, combined with the tank, he might have fallen almost four feet; could he be potentially injured? Since I put him back in the tank he's been acting a bit peculiar, he stayed out of the water most of the day, and it took some prodding to get him to eat his supper. He also appeared to be trying to escape again today; he was on a tree that's near the hole that the filter comes in, I believe this must be how he escaped last night/this morning. What should I interpret from this behavior?

Does anyone know if I can relax, or should I keep an eye on him for a while.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
It sounds like it should be just fine and you should just keep an eye on him. The next thing to do is to figure out why he was trying to escape as this is usually due to a water quality issue.

TLaw

Reaction score
It sounds like it should be just fine and you should just keep an eye on him. The next thing to do is to figure out why he was trying to escape as this is usually due to a water quality issue.

Hmm. Well I did do a water change yesterday morning, though it was no different than any other I think. I just treat tap water to remove chlorine and chloramine, and change about a third of his water with each change. I can't imagine what would suddenly upset him that much. Could he just be curious?

spendday

Reaction score
one of mine got out last year was out for over 12 hours and is fine, i dont think there is always a reason for escapes mine found i filter hole i hadnt secured very well and just wriggled out one day, I was lucky to find it, i hadnt changed anything in the tank and the temps and water were fine, it was just one of those things. But a check to make sure everything in the tank is ok isnt a bad idea incase there is a reason

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The next thing to do is to figure out why he was trying to escape as this is usually due to a water quality issue.

In my opinion a newt will try to escape whatever the conditions inside the tank. Poor conditions may encourage escape but they are natural explorers.

napoleon

Reaction score
I dont know about the newt but my african dwarf frog escaped cause the fish were bugging her (it was a girl).:eek:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

TLaw

Reaction score
^^ I was thinking of getting a new filter. Does anyone have any recommendations for CFBs? Someone recommended a Fluval plus 1, though I haven't been able to find one, though I did see a Fluval U1, which looked pretty good and similar to the plus 1. Does anyone know if this is any good for a CFB in a 10 gallon?

Reaction score
I once woke up for school and saw a long-toed salamander sitting in my window well in the middle of winter. I quickly went to get it out of the snow, and set up the tank (very exited). And it was doing fine for about three weeks, then one morning I checked on him, but he wasn't there? I looked all over my house but I couldn't find it. That went on for about two weeks, then one morning it was in the middle of my floor doing just fine. A little skinny, and dry but alive and well.
I plumped it up then let it go in the spring. I was very happy it didn't perish!

SETc6

Reaction score
I've seen a couple threads on them escaping, should I get a aquarium with a closed top or would the mesh top i have be ok?

dragonwalker

Reaction score
About 15 years ago I had two red-bellied newts in a tank on a bookshelf. I would occasionally see a large ball of dust crawling across the floor and I would pick it up, rinse it off and then put it back in its tank. Once my dog was walking around with one in her mouth, she was a Malamute and I am shocked that the newt did not even have a scratch on it.

The newts were fine and did not die from all of this. They are surprisingly robust.

(by the way they used to squeeze through by the filter and it only happened a few times... I am usually very careful about animals in my care).

Rachel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1