Maggots?

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
Country
England
Does anyone feed them? The supplier I bought our 2 axies from last year recommended them - Blades Biological - sell VERY expensive maggots! I just wonder if they are considered a suitable food?

Heather

ps - I occasionally post a Q, then the next day can't remember exactly where, (or what sometimes) - it's an 'age' thing......is there an easy way on this forum to find 'my' posts (& therefore any replies)? Ta, H (call me dozey) - thanks.

Hi Heather, I wouldn't recommend Maggots - they're fatty and can bloat your Axolotl.

Worms are best, I usually go in the garden and find worms, slugs and woodlice.

You can subscribe to your posts in your settings. I usually access my settings bit by clicking on Private Message (top right) then look at the navigation on the left.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Phil

In the hobby, maggots usually refer to fly larvae. Opinions about their suitability are quite varied.
from what i´ve read and my personal experience i can say that they have nasty jaws which should be removed or disabled before being fed to your animals. Also they are quite rich in fat and not specially nutritious if i recall properly.
This makes them a rather poor feeding item, at least as an staple. As a part of a more varied diet they might be ok.
There are better things you can offer in my opinion....as for creatures of the maggot persuasion, waxworms are a better choice.

About your second question, you can see the threads in which you have participated in a section inside your control panel.
If you hit the "private messages" you go to your control panel, and there in the left menu, you have a section called "List subscriptions". There you can see the threads.
Hope that helps :)

PD: Damn Phil, you beat me xD almost identical posts....

I’m going to have to disagree here. House fly maggots have a better Ca:p ratio, half the fat and higher protein than waxworms. As an occasional treat they’re pretty good nutritionally.

The main problem is that they have tough skins. A good angling shop will sell a range of non-dyed maggots, the smaller varieties have softer skins and are more palatable.

I think Mark has answered your maggot question well so I'll give you a quick tutorial on thread subscription. Basically follow the images below. If you have questions feel free to ask!

Attachments

• help.PNG
    help.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 262
  • help2.PNG
    help2.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 260
  • help3.PNG
    help3.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 236
There are people who will give advice strongly for or against using maggots as food - it's always this way. I have used them for small terrestrial species and have had good results in this context. Hmmm, maybe we should do a poll...

For an axolotl, I can't see the purpose in using maggots. They aren't easy to feed to an underwater animal - most of the aquatic species I've offered them to aren't very interested. For axies, I'd say stick to chopped worms - they are cheaper and certainly no worse in terms of nutrition.

Oh no, that squid thing is getting out of hand.

MANY thanks for reasoned reply on both maggots & finding posts. I have started digging the garden, & have loads of earth worms stored in a large soil-filled bucket - they are our prefered diet (I don't eat many myself)......I asked about maggots as my babies are growing so fast I was wondering if they would fill a mouth or two if I'm stuck for supplies - snowy spells, hard dry summers - thinking ahead.

I found a link from an older post to 'fishandfins, & they still supply live food (daphnia, bloodworms, etc) at reasonable cost, AND reply to e-mail enquiries, so planning well underway for growing mouths. My own daphnia breeding is also going quite well - quite a fun challenge! (Also now breeding black crickets for skinks - breeding becoming adictive...).

Thanks again,

Heather

ps -Squid ahoy!!!!!!!! Done

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back