Question: My axolotl hangs upside down is he sick

Kim Naylor

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi we are newbes to the forum and we have a question. Is it normal for Bear ( that's his name) to hang upside down. He has been doing this for the last few days and it is almost like he can't hold his tail down or that his tail is to heavy and it floats up. He is also looking thinner but he is still eating as norm. We have already lost an axie last year so it would be very sad to lose another. He has 2 filters in his tank and we check the PH often. He will only eat live food wont even look at a pellet. Is there anyone out there who has any ideas!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi Kim,

A floating backside is a classic symptom of impaction - the axolotl swallows something with his big, wide mouth that doesn't pass out of the other, much smaller end. The usual culprit is gravel. What sort of substrate do you have in the tank?

Some other questions in case impaction is not the problem: how long have you had this axolotl, and how old (how long) is he? If you think it is relevant, how did the other axolotl die, and is the new one in the same aquarium? Do you test any other parameters besides pH andif so, what are the readings? What is the temperature in the tank?

P.S. Welcome to the Forum. :happy:

-Eva

In a word "No"

as Eva suggests, it sound like an impaction in the meantime I would fridge your axolotl for a few days, I know it sounds weird but many axolotl keepers and breeders practise this technique. The lower temperatures slow the axolotls metabolism down and aids in the passing of obstructions.

Good Luck

In a word "No"

as Eva suggests, it sound like an impaction in the meantime I would fridge your axolotl for a few days, I know it sounds weird but many axolotl keepers and breeders practise this technique. The lower temperatures slow the axolotls metabolism down and aids in the passing of obstructions.

Good Luck
Ok I think you may be right on the impaction thingy,,, My daughter saw him eat some gravel as this is what our pet shop supplied us with and told us he would be fine!!!!!!!!! We are not sure what the other one died of but we think the water didn't have enough oxygen in it that is why we have 2 filters. We live in Orange Australia the cooler part of Australia and in the summer months (now) we put frozen cooler blocks in his water so it is always cool. So I should put him in the fridge? If so how much water do i put him in and will he be comfortable in a container? I will remove the gravel ASAP.......

Thank so much for your help
Kim

Hi Kim,

A floating backside is a classic symptom of impaction - the axolotl swallows something with his big, wide mouth that doesn't pass out of the other, much smaller end. The usual culprit is gravel. What sort of substrate do you have in the tank?

Some other questions in case impaction is not the problem: how long have you had this axolotl, and how old (how long) is he? If you think it is relevant, how did the other axolotl die, and is the new one in the same aquarium? Do you test any other parameters besides pH andif so, what are the readings? What is the temperature in the tank?

P.S. Welcome to the Forum. :happy:

-Eva
Thankyou for your response and warm welcome to the forum... Bear is about 18cms long i don't know how old that is in axie yrs. We have only had for a few months. This is the same tank but we cleaned the tank and let it cycle for a month before we got the new axie. Yes I think your right on the money about something being stuck in him. He looks a little better today.

Ok I think you may be right on the impaction thingy,,, My daughter saw him eat some gravel as this is what our pet shop supplied us with and told us he would be fine!!!!!!!!! We are not sure what the other one died of but we think the water didn't have enough oxygen in it that is why we have 2 filters. We live in Orange Australia the cooler part of Australia and in the summer months (now) we put frozen cooler blocks in his water so it is always cool. So I should put him in the fridge? If so how much water do i put him in and will he be comfortable in a container? I will remove the gravel ASAP.......

Thank so much for your help
Kim

Hi Kim,

Fridging procedure:
  • Prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water (select tub that is long enough for the axie to stretch out to his full length).
  • Put enough water to cover the axolotl's back, ensure he can touch the ground but cannot float.
  • Set fridge for 5-8 degrees celcius, no lower than 5 degrees.
  • Keep jugs/bottles of fresh dechlorinated water in the fridge
  • The axolotl will need his water changed 100% daily with the fridged dechlorinated water.
Floating can be caused by many factors. Gravel impaction is the usual culprit, but other tank issues can also contribute and work in combination to stress an axolotl, causing him in turn to float.

While your axolotl is enjoying his holiday in the fridge, could you give us a run down on your tank parameter readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and water temperature? Water quality and tank temperature are most important to an axolotl's health. Ammonia and Nitrite readings over '0' are dangerously toxic.

How large is the tank?

You mentioned you use two filters. Is there any water flow being issued from the outtakes of these filters? Axolotls find water currents to be highly stressfull. To fix any water flow issues you can use spraybars to diffuse the flow, place an obstruction in front of the outtake to break the current or some filters have an adjustable outtake which will allow you to direct the flow to the tank wall rather than through the axolotl's living space.

It's wonderful that you are removing the gravel. Suitable alternate substrates are bare bottom tanks which are the easiest to keep clean, but if you prefer 'the natural look' then sand is an excellent substrate for axolotls as when ingested, it passes through with no discomfort or danger to the axolotl. Appropriate sands are childrens play sand (the cheapest), pool filter sand and fresh water aquarium sand (the dearest option).

Welcome to the forum :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back