Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

xD tank help to make better

Doki

Reaction score
hello

xD now i moved my axolotl from small aquarium into 80l one which is quite wide and long and not so high. now i changed alot from my previous thread. but i still want you to help me to make it better. here is image http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=sdgmk006.jpg
how many axolots can live there or is it only for 1? i feel she is lonly also she got red tail that bothers me.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Doki,

I like the shape of that tank! You can definitely keep another axolotl in their with your girl. I recommend getting another girl for her so that you do not have a breeding pair housed together.

I would also suggest that you provide more places for your axolotl to hide. Axolotls like a cool, shady aquarium.

What kind of filter is that?

Thanks for sharing your picture!

-Eva

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a lovely setup for an axolotl. Don't worry about "loneliness", they do perfectly when kept solo. If you have any indication that the red tail could be an illness, do not consider another until you are sure she's OK. Have you tested the water (ammonia, pH, etc) since moving the axolotl into the new tank? She could be suffering from 'new tank syndrome'.

If you add another, be sure to add additional hiding places, as Eva suggested. There is always some risk that they could bite each other, but the injuries are rarely serious. The chances are reduced if they don't see each other much!

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Doki,

I don't know that kind of filter so I can't comment on it. The answer to "should I get more plants" is always "yes!" :p

A good sand is children's play sand, like you put in a child's sandbox. Pool filter sand is also good. They are both much, much less expensive than sand sold as aquarium sand.

Axolotls may accidentally bite each other, particularly when they are small, but they are not naturally aggressive. It is important that they be roughly the same size, though - no less than 1/3 difference in size. Otherwise, it could indeed happen that the bigger one eats (or tries to eat) the small one. If the axolotls have enough room (which they do, in your tank) and enough places to hide, they should be fine together.

-Eva

Doki

Reaction score
That's a lovely setup for an axolotl. Don't worry about "loneliness", they do perfectly when kept solo. If you have any indication that the red tail could be an illness, do not consider another until you are sure she's OK. Have you tested the water (ammonia, pH, etc) since moving the axolotl into the new tank? She could be suffering from 'new tank syndrome'.

If you add another, be sure to add additional hiding places, as Eva suggested. There is always some risk that they could bite each other, but the injuries are rarely serious. The chances are reduced if they don't see each other much!

oww i was thinking about small axolotl though. my axolotl is very active though but that tail bother me, some people say i should put it in fridge.
xD damn i dont understand anything about ph nitrates.

Doki

Reaction score
Hi Doki,

I don't know that kind of filter so I can't comment on it. The answer to "should I get more plants" is always "yes!" :p

A good sand is children's play sand, like you put in a child's sandbox. Pool filter sand is also good. They are both much, much less expensive than sand sold as aquarium sand.

Axolotls may accidentally bite each other, particularly when they are small, but they are not naturally aggressive. It is important that they be roughly the same size, though - no less than 1/3 difference in size. Otherwise, it could indeed happen that the bigger one eats (or tries to eat) the small one. If the axolotls have enough room (which they do, in your tank) and enough places to hide, they should be fine together.

-Eva
thanx!!!
can you sugest me what kind of plants are best for my axolotl ?

blueberlin

Reaction score
There are lots of suggestions in the forum - if you use the search function for the Axolotl section and search for plants, you will find several threads. Mose recently I remember discussing it in this thread.

Basically you need to look for plants that tolerate temperatures below 20°C (there are several that will tolerate temps at 18°C and some that will tolerate 5°C). They also should not have very high light requirements because the axolotls like it shady.

My current favorite plant is Valesneria. It does very well in an axoltol tank, grows quickly, and the axolotls love climbing through it. There are others, of course, and I am sure someone else will add their favorites in answer to your question.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1