New axolotle owner!

Apple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I am a new owner of an Axolotl! I was given very bad information about him, I was actually out buying goldfish and I saw a tank of Axolotls and asked if they can live with goldfish and what kind of care they need... I was told they can live with goldfish and can live off goldfish food. I wasnt told he would grow all big and eat the goldfish!! I wasnt told not to keep him on gravel because he might eat it and get sick! I wasnt told he has different needs to the fish! I would return him but I'm all attached now! He's so cute and entertaining, but I want him to have the right set-up.. he shouldnt go without because the people who sold him are ill-informed. I am looking at two different tanks for him one is 33cm by 40cm by 28cm and the other is 24inches by 12inches by 15inches, I am hoping to buy another so he isnt alone, would the smaller tank be sufficiant for when they are full grown? The larger tank has no lighting so I can set up any kind of lighting I want.. could I have day lights and blue nightlights? would he be happy in that lighting?

I am getting sand and large pebbles, and pipes and plants... and some live food and some coy carp food (is this correct?)

Any other advice?

Thanks everyone! Apple x

p.s: If you like art check out my website!

Hi Apple,

Sorry, do you mean 33 inches or 33 cm tank length? 33 inches would be lovely and would allow you to have more than one axolotl quite comfortably. 33 cm is way too small, it will fit the axolotl like a glove one day. As in, skin-tight.

The large pebbles may be quite decorative but will trap dirt and muck. If you are ok with that, wonderful, just make sure that they are much larger than the axolotl's head (size of a golf ball or bigger) so that he can't swallow it.

I don't know what carp eat but the best food for axolotls is earthworms. You can get these at bait shops, etc. The Caudata Culture site here has some good articles on various foods for axolotls, so that is a great place to read up.

I'm sorry the axolotls ate your goldfish - maybe that's what the pet shop meant by "goldfish food"...

You are in the right place for information now, though. If you haven't found it already, check out the axolotl site, too. Good luck to you - and welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

I mean cms.. I recon thats way to small! oh dear better go with the bigger tank then..

He didnt actually eat the goldfish but he will when he gets older if I dont rehome him into his own tank he certainly tries...

Thanks for the advice! I'll upload more photos as he grows and of his new house (tank)

Apple x

Hi Apple,

In cm you should get an aquarium that is at least 80 cm long. That will also be enough for two or three axolotls, but still a sort of minimum for keeping an axolotl comfortably. Axolotls are BIG salamanders; they grow to anywhere from 25-35 cm long.

The axolotl will definitely try to eat small goldfish at some point. In addition, no matter what you feed your axolotl, the goldfish will try and eat it, too.

By the way I tried to find your website in your profile but couldn't find it.

-Eva

Yes, it does - of course I like the frog, and the body art is fantastic.

-Eva

Thanks so much for looking! :) x

Hey I had a look at your set up, it looks amazing! I dont know if I have space for such a large set up but I'll certainly get the biggest tank I can find... Thanks again x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back