Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

plate,is it ok!?

Doki

Reaction score
i find it difficult to feed my axie from hands with worms she seems slow and dont eat from hands so well but alvays asks for food. so i puted small plate with worms for her. is it ok what you think? off course when she munches them they fall out of her mouth around the plate clumsily but she ate everything till last bite and asks even for more, here are pics of plate, so worms wont get lost around the aquarium.
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=sdgmk013.jpg
she found plate
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=sdgmk014.jpg
smells worms
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=sdgmk009.jpg
munches them.

AND SHE STILL WANTS TO EAT!!!!!

so is plate good idea? i't easier to remove food later

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks to me like a super idea...if she is feeding from the plate then I would carry on using this method, after all it looks like its stopping the food from being 'swooshed' every where. My axolotl used to feed from a shallow plate until one started to get greedier than the others..they are now fed in different areas .

madFrankie

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, I've found that a pair of tweezers (great for holding earthworms) works really well if they don't want to take it from your fingers.
Also, a wooden skewer is really good if you're feeding something like freeze dried tubifex worms in the pellet form.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Doki,

Yes that method works just fine. I do that myself, although my feeding bowl has little pictures of chickens on it.. (thats another matter). I find it particularly handy feeding blackworms or bloodworms too. What i do is i use a turkey baster or syringe to suck up the worms and then carefully inject it into the bowl. So now its no longer a messy affair.

Cheers.

Doki

Reaction score
It looks to me like a super idea...if she is feeding from the plate then I would carry on using this method, after all it looks like its stopping the food from being 'swooshed' every where. My axolotl used to feed from a shallow plate until one started to get greedier than the others..they are now fed in different areas .

i got dificulties to give her frozen food because when it melts in water it just turns into blody cloud of water that confuses her. xD thanks for agreeing with plate. it gets swoshed but only near the plate and it's easy to find it.

Doki

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, I've found that a pair of tweezers (great for holding earthworms) works really well if they don't want to take it from your fingers.
Also, a wooden skewer is really good if you're feeding something like freeze dried tubifex worms in the pellet form.

xD oh tweezers are preaty good idea indeed then. yea it's hard to feed her with frozen worms they seems to turn in powder in water ill try that method
<3 thnx

Doki

Reaction score
Hi Doki,

Yes that method works just fine. I do that myself, although my feeding bowl has little pictures of chickens on it.. (thats another matter). I find it particularly handy feeding blackworms or bloodworms too. What i do is i use a turkey baster or syringe to suck up the worms and then carefully inject it into the bowl. So now its no longer a messy affair.

Cheers.

ooh that looks a perfect idea since it's a bit scary and gross when worms move in your hands =u= thanx for a good idea : D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1