Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Pregnant newt

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Newts don't get 'pregnant'. They can be gravid, which means they're carrying eggs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will lay eggs.

What kind of newt is it? What kind of setup do you have it in? Do you have a male and a female?

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
i have one male and two females, how old do they have to be until they can be gravid....ill but my pics up when i get my camera to start working

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
i dont think she is very old either
icon11.gif

Nathan050793

Reaction score
What species of newt is this? How long ago did you acquire them? Where did you get them from? These could all help determine if your newt is gravid or not. Have you noticed courting behavior in the tank or seen spermatophores? Is the plumpness located more towards the abdomen/hips? (so that the newt is sort of pear shaped). Sometimes newts that look gravid are just healthily plump.

Good Luck!

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
she is a fire bellied jsut like the other two and i got here from a pet store..not petsmart or petco.....it is more fatter in front of her hind legs....had her for about 1 month now

Nathan050793

Reaction score
After looking at your other thread, it appears that your newt is not bloated. She could be gravid, although she just looks like a healthily plump newt to me. Keep an eye out for eggs on the plants in your tank just in case she is gravid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1