Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Plz help my bloated newt

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
i think my fire bellied newt is bloated...she was fine about 2 days ago......what to i do...i have a smaller male in my tank...could she be gravid....i dont want her to die on my she is my fav.....eats off of my finger.....Plz Help Me
icon9.gif

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
i think my fire bellied newt is bloated...she was fine about 2 days ago......what to i do...i have a smaller male in my tank...could she be gravid....i dont want her to die on my she is my fav.....eats off of my finger.....Plz Help Me
icon9.gif

Hello,

If you feel she is bloated, it's probably best to get her to vet. There is some info at http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml which you should look at it, but a vet is your best chance of getting a diagnosis and successful treatment if possible.

I should mention that unfortunately this is certainly not guaranteed, as in many bloat cases a diagnosis isn't obtained (at least pre-mortem), but it is your newt's best chance.

It's probably also worth posting a more complete description of your set-up here though, so that more experienced keepers can give an opinion on whether there may be an environmental factor you can correct.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
here are all the pics i took just now....if you look at the pic with the set-up she is there and her tail is up

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 934
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 726
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
here are some more

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 451

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tested your water parameters? With all that gravel and that little bit of water, I would imagine it's hard to keep your ammonia levels under control.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

troutfly

Reaction score
I may be new to this sport, however I do educate myself about the animals that I have. IMO I do not believe she is gravid, if that is a Pachytriton labiatus (Chinese Paddle Tail Newt) it appears to be too small to reproduce from all the information I have gathered. I have one of my own who is well over 6" long and as of present, people on this site have not been able to guess the sex of it because they feel it is still too young to sex properly. Your tank seems to have no filtration, too little water, and since they prefer moving water, the condition in your tank currently doesn't provide for a healthy environment for your newts.

Are you sure it is a female? If it is, do you know how old she is? How long have you had them? How much and how fast is the filtration in your tank if any? How often do you feed them? What temperature is your water? What are your water parameters?

P. labiatus are completely aquatic, they absorb oxygen through their skin, as well as through their lungs by gulping air from the surface of the water. They should be kept in water that is between 15 to 18C (60 to 66F) respectfully and the cooler the water the better. Feeding too often can cause obesity in your animal, feeding once ever three days is acceptable and it all depends on how much you feed them at a time. They will over eat if you allow them to. You said you had two of them, is it possible that they are both males? The smaller male may be being bullied by the larger one and since they are very aggressive eaters, this could be why one is fatter then the other. They will compete for food in the tank and one will inevitably loose out when battling for food.
Here are a few people you should get in contact with are Greatwtehunter, Michael, BC, Otterwoman, and Abraham. They are very knowledgeable on them since have a few of their own.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Yep. More water and less gravel. And get rid of that ph level stuff. A stable ph is better than an unstable ph. That is not P. labiatus

troutfly

Reaction score
Ok, so it is a cynops orientil not a P labiatus, you should still look into getting some type of filtration in your water. Filtration means healthy water no matter what type of aquatic animal you have. Unless you want to change out 25% of your water ever other day to keep amonia, nitrite and nitrates at healthy levels, you should think about getting one. However, I do agree on adding more water and getting rid of the gravel and switching to aquarium sand for a healthier substrate.

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
well ill have to get sand later when this crappy weather is gone and i had a filter but it broke after like 1 month and a half

Tadpole

Reaction score
If you ever encounter bloat/dropsy in any of your caudates, I have found that the product in the fish aisle, "Fungus Clear" made by Jungle brand, is very effective in curing it, if the bloat is caught early enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1