Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S. s. gallaica larva

tdimler

Reaction score
file_2152.jpg

This is a photo of some S. s. gallaica (Serra de Grandola) that have come this season. They were born between Feb. 5th and Feb. 10th. The female at first blew out 8-12 dead, kinked larva, but then continued with these healthy ones. I lost about 5 in the first few days but haven't had any losses since. Most of my larva morph out within 6 weeks. I would say this female had approx. 40 larva total. Food source for the larva is 100% frozen bloodworms which they seem to like and grow well on. I keep the water about 1.5 inches deep and do 100% water changes every couple days as needed. As they grow, if I start to see signs of aggression/cannibalism I will separate them into more/larger containers.

Travis

benw

Reaction score
Hi Travis

Nice healthy larvae there, i hope you do well with them

What number would you expect to get to metemorphosis.

Ben

tdimler

Reaction score
Hi Travis

Nice healthy larvae there, i hope you do well with them

What number would you expect to get to metemorphosis.

Ben

Ben,

I really expect to get all of these to metamorphosis. There are 25 shown and one smaller one I have separated out. I have found that there are certain losses shortly after they are born, but once they start eating it seems to go well. Last year I had a large number of larva get gas bubbles in their stomachs so that they would just float around and then die. I haven't had a single instance of that this year and am doing everything precisely the same. Any thoughts?

Travis

Steve Roman

Reaction score
Ben,

I really expect to get all of these to metamorphosis. There are 25 shown and one smaller one I have separated out. I have found that there are certain losses shortly after they are born, but once they start eating it seems to go well. Last year I had a large number of larva get gas bubbles in their stomachs so that they would just float around and then die. I haven't had a single instance of that this year and am doing everything precisely the same. Any thoughts?

Travis
It could be the quality of the frozen batch of blood worms and nothing to due with your good care. Nice group of larvae there Travis.

benw

Reaction score
I had a couple that floated, but i reduced the water level so they stayed upright and then once the food was passing through ok they seemed to stop floating, and were fine from that point.

i just assumed that they may have had a bit of air in the gut as they were deposited in the water by the mother.

Ben

salamandergal

Reaction score
Travis,
Nice !
Do you move the frozen bloodworms around to attract the larvae? Is it possible to do this for other types of salamander larvae (e.g., spotted)?

tdimler

Reaction score
Travis,
Nice !
Do you move the frozen bloodworms around to attract the larvae? Is it possible to do this for other types of salamander larvae (e.g., spotted)?

I just put the frozen chunks in there and let them go at it. They don't need any movement to feed. I have fed tiger salamander larva similarly and think maculatum would be no different. You should be able to get them feeding on pelleted fish food as well.

Travis

salamandergal

Reaction score
Travis,
Thanks for the information. I had no idea that they would eat that kind of food.

marco

Reaction score
Congratulations Tdimler, Hope things run as smoothly as possible with them. I find it unusual that they take still blood worm, most of the larvae I've had showed little to no interest until the food was disturbed and created movement.

horsefieldi

Reaction score
Hi Travis,
The larva look good. I also have S. salamandra larvae during the same time frame that yours are. They are beginning to morph. What will be your set up for the newly morphed larva? I have been using all types of food: Black worms, bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, pellets,fish fry liquid food, and live brine shrimp. A small per centage of the larva will also accept food from forceps.

tdimler

Reaction score
Hi Travis,
The larva look good. I also have S. salamandra larvae during the same time frame that yours are. They are beginning to morph. What will be your set up for the newly morphed larva? I have been using all types of food: Black worms, bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, pellets,fish fry liquid food, and live brine shrimp. A small per centage of the larva will also accept food from forceps.

I keep morphed larva in sandwich sized gladware/ziplock containers on paper towel with a small hide. I put 5 morphs per container. Feeding is sometimes problematic because I don't have access to small feeders. I usually start them on small worm pieces, but I have had trouble getting worms small enough. I just field collected a bunch of termites yesterday and am going to see if that works. Nearly all mine have morphed as well.

Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1