You can raise/breed waxworms (waxmoths)

keithp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keith Petrosky
For some of you who live in the U.S., you can buy Waxmoth diet so all you do is buy waxworms, pour the artificial diet in a tank, let the waxworms eat and pupate, and after the moths emerge they mate and lay eggs in the artificial diet. The waxworms leave a thin trail of silk on the bottom so after a while you need to add new food but it takes a while for this to happen.

Warning, do not have in a hot place, the diet (mainly wax) and the waxworms will melt if they get too hot. I raised them and this started to happen all I did was move the tank to a slightly cooler area and they were fine as long as the room is not too cold.

kit- http://www.enasco.com/product/LM00196M
artificial diet- http://www.enasco.com/product/SB07054(LM)M

Whilst searching the threads I came upon this post and have a few questions to add...

I've also heard of using oatmeal and honey as a media for waxmoth culturing...would you say this is sufficient?

What temp ranges would you recommend? I'm assuming room temperature is too cold. What heating methods do you use?

How large of a container should x amount of worms be kept in?

How long does it take for the larvae to mature into moths?

Any advice for a newb? :p

Last edited:
I use the same method as found on Alan Cann's blog.
It uses honey as one of the ingredients and some cerial stuff (forgot the english names) and some other things. It works really well and it is very cheap as well.
I kept them on room temperature (around 23 degrees celcius) and they breed like crazy. In the winter they should've been warmer since the culture was going very slow.

Alan's site can be found here.
It doesn't load for me at the moment, but that can be my connection at work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back