Favourite Axolotl Colouration

What is your favourite axolotl colouration?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rayson
Hi all,

For all axolotl enthusiasts out there, here is a poll for you. What is your favourite axolotl colouration?

I have only included the more common colours and intentionally excluded the rare ones like harlequins, piebalds, yellow leucistic with spots, chimeras and GFP. I can so anticipate the votes will swing that way so i didn't want to include them.

Have fun!

I voted for the original recipe. (by that I mean wild-type ;))

In German we call that a "cookie" (Keks) - I believe in English they are called coppers but have yet to find out what genetics define the phenotype. They sure are purdy though, aren't they.

Ray, I think the poll should allow multiple answers haha.

edit: P.S. Ray, I believe axanthic albinos are pure white (and have no reflective ring in the eyes).

-Eva

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

Dawn, that would still be wildtype but a pretty and rare one.

Eva, axanthic are born pure white but develops a slight peach yellow colour all over as they age due to accumulation of riboflavin in their diet. It doesn't have the reflective ring around eyes though because it does not express iridosphores. I considered allowing multiple answers but then it defeats the purpose of 'favourite'.

Cheers.

It was actually really hard to choose a favorite :D

But if I could own any axolotl in the world it would be a Leucistic with heavy pigmentation down its back, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3hP76syaE

Ooooh this is a toughy...

My vote is for wildtype closely followed by all the other types :p.

There is something about Leucistic's that i love. possibly the way their gorgeous eyes look back at you.... or maybe its just cos that was my first axolotl.

But its really hard to chose cos each colour is beautiful and each axie is different! can i vote for 'all of the above'?

I voted Leucistic

I personally love these lil guys, specially when you can get them, and their eyes look almost blue.

would then go rare wildtype variety, Olives and Black and golden flecks, like Jacq's one :p

Hohoho looks like the original recipe is pulling ahead of the race! Must be those 11 secret herbs and spices that make Col. Sanders proud. (In case you are lost, original recipe = wildtype).

No melanoid albino fans here? Aww...

I could never pick a favorite coloration, cous' when I look at my axies, I think that each and every one of them are extremely unique, and beautiful !!!!!!!!!
I love all the color's, even the ones that aren't mentioned !!!!

Hehe suzy, no fence sitting here! Lets say all your christmases came at once and you can select one axie of your choice from that pool of colours, which colour would draw your attention first?

That would be your choice. ;)

To Otterwoman - I know those as sandstone axolotls. But I'm also with Ray as I don't know the genetics.

My vote goes to leucistic as that was the color mine were, I am really fond of the ones with pigmentation.

Hehe suzy, no fence sitting here! Lets say all your christmases came at once and you can select one axie of your choice from that pool of colours, which colour would draw your attention first?

That would be your choice. ;)
O.K.
I guess that I would have to pick a Leucistic, only cous' they can look at you with those puppy dog eyes and wag their tail. That's what one of mine does anyway. Which is why I named him or her puppy. LOL !!!

Pfft. Melanoids are where it's at, kids.

Harlequin,

Never seen a live one but they look way cool in the pictures I have seen

I agree with suzy I love all the colors I can never pick a favorite anything but I voted for the Wild type because I love my gizmo but I love my others just as much.

I voted for Wildtype, but my second choice is melanoid.

Just a quick question, i have a black axolotl with gold flecks (almost appears metalic gold)- are they common? its the 1st time i've own one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back