Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axle update...

S and S

Reaction score
Axle has now been in the fridge for 2 days. Thank-you to all who helped me. He isn't eating but we will keep trying to feed him earthworms while he is in the fridge. He seens happy enough in there and we are trying hard to sort out his tank and get it right for his return :eek:

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Sand S,

Thats great, I wouldn't worry too much about the not eating just yet axolotls can survive for a long time with no food, just keep trying.

Good Luck

S and S

Reaction score
Thanks, i will keep trying to feed him.
We have finally found the problem as to why our Nitrate levels wouldn't come down. Now that is sorted, how long should I leave him in the fridge for?? His gills are starting to come back and apart from being way too thin, he looks good. He has been in their for almost a week :rolleyes:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi S and S,

Actually axolotls can live in the fridge for months on end, there are stories of people who keep them in the fridge permanently, so fridiging itself isn't dangerous per se.

The only drawback is the reduced appetite due to the reduced metabolism. If your axie appears completely healthy and fine and your main tank is all sorted out, i don't see why you can't move it back home.

Just remember to let the water equilibrate to ambient temperature before you put your axie back in the main tank.

Provided that the tank parameters are fine, your axie's appetite should pick up.

Cheers.

S and S

Reaction score
Okay, getting ready to Axle back in his tank. We ended up removing the fine gravel we had as substrate and finally the Nitrate came down!! Our parameters are all okay now.

Axle has been looking better, and his gills are growing back however on both of his outside gills, there is a gluggy white substance. These gills don't seem to be growing either. Should I do anything to help or will this heal in it's own time. He has been in the frisge for 8 days now.

Thank-you.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi S and S,

Can you take a photo of the white substance on the gills? I would like to check if its fungus, shedded skin, scar tissue or bacterial abscess.

If its shedded skin or scar tissue nothing to worry about. It would heal on its own. Fungus and bacterial infections will require treatment.

Cheers

S and S

Reaction score
Axle is back in his tank!!! Thank-you all for the help over the past few weeks. We have learnt so much and are now much better equiped to look after axies.

Axle has been in his tank now for about 5days. He is eating again(doesn't like earth worms yet, but I'm sure he will soon) and being active. His gills are looking the best they have in a long time and his coat looks great. The white substance on his gills dissapeared after his return to his tank as well.

We are going away for three weeks, but my sister will be looking after him, so I am only slightly nervous about leaving him!!!

We are also hoping to get a new axie when we get back. I see you have to isolate them for a while, how do we go about that?? Axle did have a tank mate but she died a few months ago. Our parameters seem to be settled now and can' wait to get a friend for Axle.

Thanks all again!!!

:D:D:D

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi S and S,

Glad to hear the good news.

A quarantine tank can be easily set up with a reasonable sized spare tank. You do not need substrate. You should provide 2 hiding spots per axie and basically maintain the tank like you would with your main tank. Ensure good water parameters, temperature, no excessive currents. You should set up this quarantine tank in advance so that there is time for your tank to cycle. Once you have an axie in it, you should do regular water chemistry checks and 20% water changes as well. Same procedure applies to uneaten food and detritus. You should have them removed promptly. A simple waterfall type mounted filter would make things easier but you don't necessarily need one.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

If you do not have a spare tank. You can also fridge your axie. The fridging procedure is exactly the same and would require daily 100% water changes.

You can have a look at this article on caring for your axie while you are away.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vacation_care.shtml

Cheers.

S and S

Reaction score
I have one more question.......our water parameters have stabilised and we have minimized any currents caused by the filters however Axle's gills seem to be shrinking again!!! they were looking really good after his time in the fridge. Should we add some plants into the tank?? He does gulp air occasionally but has been very active since his return to his tank and is otherwise seemingly very healthy. :confused:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi S and S,

Would you be able to post photos of the current state of the gills?

If there are no other signs of illness and stress, shorter gill filaments may be a normal adaptation to increased dissolved oxygen present. When there is adequate/increased oxygen in the water, there is less need for large plumes of gill filaments.

A photo will better give an indication if it is nothing to worry about or if theres pathology.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1