Bobbly gills?

ratticon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

This might not be anything to worry about, could just be regrowth/new growth: My axie has little bobbles on the end of his gill 'tassles' - I think I read them being called Fibrillae?

They're not huge lumps, they look like when you singe your hair? :eek:

I don't think my water conditions are bad, although unfortunately my tank isn't fully cycled yet.

PH 7.8, Very hard water, 20 degrees, Ammonia 0-0.25ppm, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Fluval 2+ internal filter with 2 spray bars aimed at the back wall, 20% water change every 2 days.

I don't know what it's like to singe my hair, no :p
Axolotl frills can vary in size and shape.. just take a look at our gallery and you'll see some golden albinos with forked gills and bushy frills :)
A photo would always help, but as long as your 'lotl is eating, pooping and acting himself then there shouldn't be any need to fuss.

vswKhSBpQknkkr57nTt9Suhyo1_500.jpg

vswKhSBpQknkldlw25s6qrmZo1_500.jpg

Here he is, i've also noticed that his tail fin a little wrinkly (see top picture).

Any suggestions, people?

Hi Ratticon,

That looks like a healthy axie to me. I don't see anything unusual at all. The gills look fine, although with 'imaginitis', they could be slightly curled forwards. The tail looks fine to me too.

Cheers

Looks like a healthy little guy (or gal). Nice color, weight, gills look good, substrate's appropriate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back