Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I don't know what to do

theponyboygirl

Reaction score
Hi I'm new, and sorta freaked out. My axolotl, Murphy, lost his external gills, keeps his head out of the water and I'm worried he's changing. I dont know how to change his tank set-up, I dont know what to do with the reptile filter, I just want him to be okay and I dont know whats best for him. Any suggestions on what I can do? I love him and just want him to be healthy!

b00f

Reaction score
hi

what are your water parameters?
do you have any recent pictures?
what is your current setup?

gasping for air can mean many things, from bad water quality to lack of o2 in the water

post up some pics and a run down on what setup your using

this will help us help you :D

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi theponyboygirl,

Losing gill filaments and thus surfacing for air is normally indicative of reduced capacity for oxygen exchange. There are many causes for gill loss. We want to try find out what are the causes and rectify them.

1) Water parameter issues - If you haven't yet invest in a test kit, get a good colourimetric solution type kit to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. You want to aim for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <60 nitrates. Ideal pH is neutral around 7. You can achieve good water parameters by regular water testing, regular 20% water changes and diligently removing uneaten food and detritus. Remember to use a good dechlorinator each time during a water change.

2) What is the water temperature like? Are there excessive currents? You want to maintain a stable 16-18 degree celsius range ideally. Axies are susceptible to high water temperature as well as fluctuating temperatures. That can stress the axie and can contribute to gill loss. Excessive currents too can stress the axie. You want to ensure that you diffuse your filter output. If your water plants are swaying, that indicates too much water currents.

3) Do you house your axie with other tankmates or fish? Aggression can lead to gills being nibbled off. It is best to house axies alone or with other axies of similar size. Some species of feeder fish are alright such as guppies, minnows and platys, provided they are quarantined for at least 30 days beforehand.

4) Ensure general safety and comfort in the tank environment. Do not use gravel, restrict to freshwater sand, pool filter sand or play pit sand or keep the tank bare bottomed. Provide at least 2 hiding places per axie.

5) Rule out diseases and illness. Do you observe any unusual growth, discolouration, mucus or discharge from your axie's skin and gills? Is it losing its appetite? Is it getting thinner? Some infections such as fungal or bacterial infections can leave your axies gills tattered and shrivelled.

6) Axolotls rarely morph. Poor water and environmental conditions would normally kill it first. You can look for the following signs of morphing if you want to be sure. Morphing axies tend to lose their appetites, develop eyelids, lose their fins and develop a pointier head and tail. They would also lose their gills and their skin texture may look different.

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi,

Are you sure you have an axolotl and not a salamander? I am aware that Sals are sometimes sold in the USA as axolotls.

If it is keeping its head out of the water rather than gasping or gulping air then I would suggest putting some sort of island or platform in the tank. If it is a Tiger Salamander or a morphing axolotl then it will eventually drown if it is unable to get out of the water.

As Ray says Morphing axolotls are quite rare and gill filament loss is more often a water quality issue. If it has lost its Gill stubs as well as the filaments then I would think you may have a Salamander or a morphing axoltl

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Well if it is morphing then you should give this article a read, it should have all the information to help you adjust to the salamanders changing needs.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What is a reptile filter?

@theponyboygirl: How about a photo of your pet?

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1