Maxi and Stumpy

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This is some photos of my two biggest juvies (they are about 6 inches long). I had a problem with them behaving erratically, scratching at their gills and swimming frantically in short bursts. I 'spoke' to Darkmaverick about it who thought it could be parasites (such as anchor worm). I have not since noticed this behaviour and have posted these pictures as that is what Ray (Darkmaverick) suggested. I see no trace of parasites and think they were both just having a 'funny five minutes'!
Any ideas?
By the way I did a 20% water change after I noticed the erratic movements, and my water parameters are all normal. (nitrite and ammonia 0, nitrate 40, temp around 18)

Attachments

• axolotls 011.jpg
    axolotls 011.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 317
  • axolotls 010.jpg
    axolotls 010.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 242
  • axolotls 009.jpg
    axolotls 009.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 208
Both scratching (like dogs) and swimming frantically are signs of a cycling tank - ammonia burns, really. Might want to step up those water changes. Is the container in the picture their current home or just for the photos?

In any case, lovely lotls, they look well fed, strong, and healthy.

-Eva

Hi Kerry,

Based on the photos, i can't really see anything particularly abnormal. If the scratching is a once off incident and not repeated chronically, i wouldn't worry too much.

Poor water parameters can cause chemical trauma but if your water qualiy has always been tested good, we have to rule out external parasitism. Fortunately, i don't see any chronic signs of external parasitism in either of your axie. They look healthy.

Just another note, does your tank have a lid? If there are episodes of frantic swimming, you won't want them jumping out. Also, sometimes when environmental pollutants or aerosols get into the tank water, they can cause irritation to the skin and cause the presentation you seen.

Continue to keep them under observation. Otherwise i don't think any other action is needed at this point.

Cheers.

Thank you both for your input.

Yes Eva, they are put in that small tub to feed them daily, so mum and dad don't eat their worms, it's working well so far.

And yes Ray, my tank does have a lid, I also keep the water level 3 inches or so below the top of the tank anyway to stop mum escaping through to see daddy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back