Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddle Tail Newt Spots

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Hi All,

At our school we have an ecosystem full of all sorts of creatures, one being a Paddle Tail Newt. Our newt seems to have recently developed a discolouration on his tail. There are pale white splotches on either side of his tail at the very back. He came to us with what appears to be a chunk missing from his tail, as well. Also a concern is that the ecosystem temperature seems to be quite high for a newt- today it was sitting at 27 degrees Celsius. I don't know much about Paddle Tails, but after having raised Chinese Firebelly babies, I know a fair bit about these beautiful creatures. Just wondering if you can offer some info on what might be going on with this Paddle Tail, and if the splotches are normal.

Thanks!

shop worn angel

Reaction score
There are all sorts of creatures in this ecosystem: an Apple Snail, Fire Belly Toads, Crayfish, a Rough Backed newt, fish....I know I have read that Paddle Tails can't be kept with other creatures....

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
27C is way too hot! Please rescue this poor creature to a cooler location.

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Thanks, All...That's exactly what I thought. I've mentioned this already to the folks in charge of it. We'll see what I can do...

Also, in the tank we have another newt that was said to be a "Rough Backed Newt". It is a greenish colour, and indeed, rough backed, or bumpy. I am not familiar with this species, and tried to research it on your site, but can't find any info here. I suspect this little guy shouldn't live in such high temperatures either??? Is that true?

slowfoot

Reaction score
Also, in the tank we have another newt that was said to be a "Rough Backed Newt". It is a greenish colour, and indeed, rough backed, or bumpy. I am not familiar with this species, and tried to research it on your site, but can't find any info here. I suspect this little guy shouldn't live in such high temperatures either??? Is that true?

Could the second newt be a Spanish ribbed newt (http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pleurodeles/P_waltl.shtml)? They can look greenish. Either way, I believe all newt species do better at cooler temps than you have in the tank.

shop worn angel

Reaction score
I can't tell what species this other newt is...It was said to be a rough backed or Oregon newt, but I checked out the different species on this site, and it seems to resemble a warty newt of some kind, maybe. Either way, I had a feeling that newts, in general, are more comfortable and happy when in cooler temperatures. Even if a tank is very large ( like the ecosystem), is it still recommended not to keep different creatures with newts? It seems strange to me that firebelly toads are housed with newts. The toads need the heat lamps, the newts don't. I'm very confused about this set up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1