Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl getting very active!

pinkangel729

Reaction score
My axolotl has been in her tank for about 3 weeks now, and shes started to become very active over the last few days, swimming about more and just generally walking around alot more.

Could it be a sign of something serious or merely she is just relaxed and happy in her new home now?

b00f

Reaction score
it could be just a sign of happiness, though if its scratching itself against things in the tank, and gasping for ait, it could be something more, like high ammoina levels

do you have a water test kit?

what are your readings?

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Yeh i do.

She is scratching, just swimming and walking alot more. No signs of stress or anything.

She goes for air but very rarely.

Yeh i have the API freshwater master kit.

Reading are ammonia 0.5ppm but that was before a water change

b00f

Reaction score
i would also check other things eg. nitrate and nitrite and ph

i would say that it could be due to the ammonia, but it seems rather low

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pinkangel729 said:
"She is scratching, just swimming and walking alot more. No signs of stress or anything."

Do you mean she IS scratching, or she ISN'T scratching? Scratching is a sign of stress and is usually due to water quality issues.

Juveniles tend to be a lot more active than adults. An adult axolotl is lazy, and pretty much just sits at the bottom of the tank looking beautiful waiting for his or her next meal :rolleyes:.

Is the axolotl eating well?

While the tank is cycling, I would just keep an eye on her, keep up with the daily partial water changes, and monitor the water parameters.

pinkangel729

Reaction score
whoops meant to say she *isn't scratching.

Yeh shes eating alot, every time i put my hand near the top of the tank she swims up hoping its food! lol.

She seems fine like i say, no other signs of illness or anything.

Perhaps she is just coming out of her shell lets say.

P.s she is a juvie also.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Pinkangel,

Just a note that any amount of ammonia and nitrite, even seemingly minute, can cause toxicity/chemical trauma to more susceptible axies.

Nitrates although more benign, if still allowed to build up over 60ppm, especially around the 80ppm mark, can also negatively affect your axie as well as cause other problems like algae blooms.

The only way to keep these in check are regular water testing and 20% water changes as well as siphoning up detritus and uneaten food.

Axies can tolerate a range of pH from around 6.5 - 8. Therefore pH itself is not as critical compared to ammonia or nitrites although ideally you want a neutral pH around 7. At higher pH, more unionised form of ammonia becomes available and this is actually the more toxic form. So when you have high pH, it is even more important to make sure you have 0 ammonia and nitrites.

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Pinkangel,

It sounds like a happy and acclimatised axolotl. Although it is always good to check out sudden changes in behaviour.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!