C.cyanurus tank

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a long time of having the material to make it, I finally made some time and finished it. I used the usual Great Stuff, Silicone, and coco fibers. I used a internal filter to make a small waterfall that empties into a small pool up above the driftwood. I put java moss where the water falls down to decrease the flow to a minimum. On the opposite side I have a large land area where I plan to put small terrestrial plants.

I wanted a fairly natural setup where the newts can be comfortable in water or on land. They spend most of their time in the water but if they want to take a break or explore this will give them the chance. I still want to add more live plants above and below the water but will wait until spring so I can get them myself. Java fern and duckweed to the water and some moss and ferns to the land is a rough guess. I hope to have a mature planted setup when all said and done.

I have added a overall pic and a closer pic of the "pool" area.

Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 614
Very cool tank! I really love the way you've done the water feature.

Thanks for the replies! I got the inspiration from your gorgeous setup Slowfoot. I wanted a small pool with a tiny waterfall and I got want I wanted. Similar to your land area, I want to incorporate some small terrestrial/water edge plants in there.

I still want to add a background but did not want to do the whole back in coco fiber (which will always be underwater).

Mitch

Thanks for the replies! I got the inspiration from your gorgeous setup Slowfoot.

Aww! :eek: I hope it works out well for you - I really enjoy mine.

I still want to add a background but did not want to do the whole back in coco fiber (which will always be underwater).

I've seen some people have a lot of success with attaching small rocks and sand (instead of coco fiber), so that might be an option for you. I'm considering trying it out in my next build, but I'm worried a bit about algae build up and how hard it might be to clean.

very nice tank. i'd like to do something like that for my CFB's.

I saw the construction of this paludarium and I didn't commend you on your excellent out of the box idea. I mean, you always think shoreline setup you know but I've never seen a setup where the actual shoreline is not connected to the bottom and takes up too much space. Here you've completely done the opposite. It's awesome. It makes me think about future projects.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back