Too Loud

mitchell101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mitchell
I have ordered a couple of tanks that are going to be here on Wednesday. They are 4'x18"x18". I will be using one of them for axolotls. Just a question about where it is going to go. It is going to be downstairs where all the music in this house is played, i was wondering if axolotls are sensitive to really loud noises or vibrations. My brothers band plays once or twice and week and if you are in the room you can't be unless you have good quality earplugs. It's REALLY loud. I hope this is not a problem for the axolotls. When the music is on i would put thick wool over it to keep the sound out a bit. Take into consideration that the aerator makes a lot of noise which is amplified in the water. I'm not sure which one is louder though.

Also how many adult axolotls could be housed in a 4ft tank? It will have loads of hidey places, the tank will be full and plants and rocks and places for my axolotls to hide.

:D I'm looking forward to it.
The axolotls won't be in the tanks for a while as they need to be cycled and setup with filters and substrate and everything which might take a while as i have 2 of these tanks to set up and probably one more after this.

Mitch.

Hi Mitchell,

Yes axolotls can get startled by sudden strong vibrations as a result from loud noise. They have mechanoreceptors and a lateral line system that picks up on vibrations in the environment and are in fact rather sensitive. I strongly advise you to consider alternative locations for the axie tank.

Your tank can easily house 3 or 4 axies provided you ensure good water quality with regular water changes, a good filtration system and diligent siphoning of detritus and uneaten food.

Cheers.

:sad: Disappointing new. I may just have to keep my axolotls in the tank which they are in now for a bit longer until i can make some room somewhere in my house for a 4ft tank. This doesn't really matter that i can't have them in the tanks at the moment because i can just have fish in there and get another tank later on.

Mitch.

to add to this mitchell, i play music in my room (500watt surround sound in a room thats less then 4m x 4m, the house shakes, the neighbours complain, but the aixes seem to become more active and "hunt" alot more when the music is on, so i would put this down to the immense vibrations made by the woofer thats under my bed.

maybe, during band practice you could put them in a tub with tank water in there, and take them somewhere quieter.

good luck,

Hi Mitchell,

about two years ago we conducted some rudimentary tests in a controlled environment to determine if and what frequencies axolotls are more sensitive to.

We found that frequencies under 150Hz caused the greatest reaction. These frequencies are of the range that would be reproduced through a sub speaker or Bass guitar or kick drum.

The size of 1 single sound wave at 25Hz is about 15 meters this means that it takes a full wave 15 meters to generate one cycle.

The lower the frequency the longer the sound wave the higher the shorter. This is why you always hear the subs from cars with boom boxes before you see them.

Point to note prolonged exposure to loud sound and frequencies can do more harm than just making you go deaf.

Boof 500 watts is a manufactures guide and selling point it is invariably rated PMPO not RMS and is not an accurate guide to the output power thus a 500 watt 5.1 surround system is only truly generating around 100 watts RMS and all of this does not relate to the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) which is the true and accurate measurement of how loud it is.

In short loud low frequencies affect axolotl behaviour

Hi Mitchell,

about two years ago we conducted some rudimentary tests in a controlled environment to determine if and what frequencies axolotls are more sensitive to.

We found that frequencies under 150Hz caused the greatest reaction. These frequencies are of the range that would be reproduced through a sub speaker or Bass guitar or kick drum.

The size of 1 single sound wave at 25Hz is about 15 meters this means that it takes a full wave 15 meters to generate one cycle.

The lower the frequency the longer the sound wave the higher the shorter. This is why you always hear the subs from cars with boom boxes before you see them.

Point to note prolonged exposure to loud sound and frequencies can do more harm than just making you go deaf.

Boof 500 watts is a manufactures guide and selling point it is invariably rated PMPO not RMS and is not an accurate guide to the output power thus a 500 watt 5.1 surround system is only truly generating around 100 watts RMS and all of this does not relate to the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) which is the true and accurate measurement of how loud it is.

In short loud low frequencies affect axolotl behaviour

logitech z5500 SS 5.1.... its rated at 500 RMS

and its LOUD, since having the axies, i havnt turn it up and considering the sub shakes the windows, and last thing i want is a busted tank.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....m_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LTZ5500&sku=LTZ5500

I have a Logitech z5500 SS 5.1 surround sound system running the audio on my PC and it is quite loud too. Great for movies outputs an SPL of 94dB flat out at 1meter.

In this instance Logitech use an accumulative formula for the designation of 500 watts. They simply add the peak output of all the speakers and say that that is the RMS rating . It is not. Although a very common way of Audio manufacturers to "big up" their product.

Our biggest system can output just under 92,000 watts this is an amplifier output rating and is a much more accurate way of gauging an RMS rating. Each Mid/High bin has two 15" speakers and a 2" horn the 15"s have a continuous rating of 700 watts and the horn 600 watts they have a peak out put of 1500 watts and 1000 watts making a supposed RMS of 4000 watts per bin in all this system has 24 mid/high bins and 24 subs the subs have 2 x 18" speakers 1000 watts continuous and 2000 watts peak output which would give me a grand total of 48 x 4000 = 19200000 watts which as you can see is significantly larger than the 92,000 watts the system can in reality produce.

The system I am referring to is a top of the line JBL Vertec line array and is professional system that you would see at large rock concerts.

A true 500 watts of output power can produce an SPL of upto 130dB thats louder than a jet engine taking off at 1 meter.

Also it is high frequency sound that shatters glass do to the nature of the many cycles needed to generate 1 complete sound wave low frequency sound will pass through most objects.

I was not and am not making random unfoundered statements. I have 27 years of work experience and 2 University degrees in this field and I stand by what I have said. In the long run it is the SPL (sound pressure level) that determines the volume in relation to the distance from the source.

All the rest PMPO, RMS etc are marketing tools

So i dont really get all this,
It still means i can't have them downstairs right?
Mitch

So i dont really get all this,
It still means i can't have them downstairs right?
Mitch

Hi Mitchell,

Axolotls find loud noises to be disturbing and this can stress them.

Further information can be found on this thread and this thread, and by using the search function of the forum using key words such as 'bass', 'music', 'noise' etc.

Hi Mitch sorry for getting to technical,

I'm afraid the short answer is its probably not a good idea.

Axolotls like sharks have a lateral line that runs down the length of its body. It is used to sense vibrations. It uses this a way of sort of feeling where prey is.

Sound travels in waves. I'm not sure whether you have studied Sin waves in maths yet but if you could see a sound wave it would look similar to a Sin wave. Because water is denser than air sound moves through it better and what is bearble out of water can be deafening below water.

So loud noise like a live band would definately effect an axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back