Well here are more pictures of bob whichi have had for about 5 weeks:
yawning:
2dlr613.jpg

bob:
2q1tq9v.jpg

igzvnt.jpg

and sideways(between 1 and two inches longer than when i got her):
15nlueb.jpg

And i know not to use gravel, i just cant get sand untill i bring her home from college so two months away... I hope she will be ok untill then as i don't feed her on the ground and she swims up to get her food so i don't see a way that she could ingest it.

Bob is cute, I see a bit of gender confusion when choosing her name? It's hard to get a photo of them yawning and they look so silly when they do.
It's good that you know not to use gravel, but it would be even better if you took out the gravel completely while waiting to go home.
It's such a risk for them to ingest the little pebbles because as you probably know they create quite a vacuum effect when they are trying to eat.
If she gets a pebble in her system she could be in the fridge for days, even weeks trying to pass it.
It's very stressfull for axolotls, yet it can be avoided so easily.

Please take out the gravel and leave her with no substrate until you get home to put the sand in :)
Stef

~The picture of Bob yawning made me lol!

lol yeah i thought it was a boy but after about a week realised it was a girl!
well i cannot take out the gravel untill i get home because there is currently an undergravel filter in the tank and if i take out the gravel i will have to take that out too and then have no filter. When i get home i am taking out the gravel and either making a bare bottom tank or possibly use sand as i have some at home already but i don't know yet (probably sand as i have live plants in the tank). I am then using the powerhead from the undergravel filter and attaching my own homemade filter to it so i wont have an undergravel filter anymore.
how does that sound?
and here are two more pictures of her right now:
2dqnb0h.jpg

v4bi90.jpg

Hi Jadore,

That sounds like a good plan. Undergravel filters are really not suitable for axie tanks and so is gravel as a substrate. Ms Bob looks ravishing.

Cheers.

thanks rayson! Yeah i know that they are not suitable but i got the tank and everything together and fish which are in a smaller tank atm for €50 but haven't had the chance to "axidise" it yet lol!
just realised one of the second photos i took is one i already posted, i thought it was one of the two i took today but i can't find the other one i actually took!

Bob has really cute smudges on his/her face :happy: it's adorable you must be so proud.

Also agree with Rayson, you should "axidise" soon :p

thanks tran! all the ones in the pet store where i am lpook like her with the markings on their face and there are a few on her body. I want to get a second but i want anything other than anopther lecuistic just to see the comparison in the tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back