Funfair goldfish petition please read!!

lazymut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is something that has been done by a close friend of mine please read!

Hello fellow fishy lovers!

Having a goldfish (9 years old – Goldie Lookin’ Fish!) myself, I absolutely hate to see goldfish strung up in tiny bags of chlorinated water at funfairs

I’ve started a petition to ban this practice, and am poking around fish care forums for some support – I would be very grateful if you signed it!
On the petition page is some further information about what damage can be done to ‘funfair’ goldfish, and why the government rejected a similar petition last year.

Hope this is allowed by forum rules – and thanks in advance for any support!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Goldfishprizes/

My concerns include:
• The small plastic bags in which the goldfish are kept often cause oxygen starvation.
• The chlorinated tap water with which these bags are filled burn the skin of the goldfish.
• The changes in temperature due to the sunlight are extremely dangerous to the fish, and can cause death.
• The fish are not fed regularly.
• The goldfish are transported and moved about in small bags, which causes them stress and shock - most goldfish die shortly after being 'won'.
• Exposure to the flashing lights of fairgrounds and loud music also cause the goldfish great deals of stress.
• The goldfish are not given away with any care instructions.
• Winning a goldfish is acquiring one on a whim - the majority of people who win a goldfish will not have a tank, safely

please sign it its a good cause! thanks for reading!

My first fish was a goldfish which I won at a fair when I was five years old. Because of this I have bred few different species of fish. My favorites being the bubble nest builders. Goldfish at fairs have a way beter chance than their cousins in a feeder tank destined to be fed to Oscars and Snakeheads. Plus goldfish sadly enough when they do die do teach kids about responsiblity. Even their first lesson about death. A prettty big thing when you think about it. All from a little goldfish from the fair.

Re: issuing a ban on goldfish being used as prizes.

Didn't you just post this not too long ago? You do realize that almost all imported fish go through the same issues you are "Concerned" about.

Re: issuing a ban on goldfish being used as prizes.

Lazy the way I look at it why not give the goldfish a chance of having a new home as supposed to being sold as a feeder to turtles, cichlids or saltwater predators. I'm not sure if you have kept tropical fish before or attended hobbyest events like a fish auction, but many of the fish are bagged for more than a day before they auctioned off to buyers. Also if you have had fish shipped to you sometimes it takes two to three days to get these fish. I agree if you plan to bag a fish for more than 12 hours they should be in a breathable bag (Plastic bag that allows oxygen to flow in). Many of us had thier first fish expierence from these goldfish at the local fair, so I believe this can help the fish keeping hobby to grow. Sorry Lazy, but I cannot sign your petition :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back