Set-Up?

wyogirl2007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy:

I got a new set-up and I want to check to be sure all is good. The temp is set 62...please just check out the pics and make suggestions.

Is the water flow good?

Does this axie look healthy?

Thanks,
Allyson

Attachments

• DSC00138.jpg
    DSC00138.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC00140.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00135.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 170
Hi Wyogirl,

Thats looking good and yes albeit abit blurry yes it looks quite healthy. You may want to consider the removal of the pebbles. Pebbles of that size can be ingested, axolotls tend to gulp at food and can open their mouths suprisingly wide. A good guide to be safe is nothing smaller than its head.

Looks great!!

Hi Allyson,

That looks really great! So many hides and perchs for the axolotl to survey his domain, and I do love that rocky mezanine level on the left.

If I may, how deep is the sand on or in the mezanine to the left? If the sand is of a depth greater than an inch, there is a risk of gas pockets developing which can wreak havoc with the water quality.

An axolotl's head is practically 'all mouth', I too would remove those pebbles if they are smaller than two centimeters in diameter. If the stones are larger than two centimeters in diameter however, then they are quite safe.

The picture of the axolotl is a little blurry, but I agree with Ian that he/she looks healthy. If you post more photos of the axolotl and his setup though, we certainly won't mind :D.

Wow looks like a jungle scene, very exotic (in a good way, obviously lol). Is this for a class room, or a museum/zoo exhibit? I'm curious as to what the info sticker about axolotls say. If you put it all together yourself then well done, you have quite an artistic flair!

As for water flow, if the plants are not visibly swaying underwater then your flow is good. Please do post more pictures if you can :D

Hi Wyogirl,

Set up looks beautiful. Do remove the pebbles just to be safe. I like the touch of having that information sheet about axolotls hung up near the tank.

My other concern is that you would have to spend extra effort in maintaining the tank. Siphoning up detritus and uneaten food would be quite a challenge with all the hiding places and ornaments. You have to ensure that you remove the accumulated and often hidden wastes around any crevices.

Cheers.

Thanks!

Thank you for the great feedback. Pebbles will be removed. The sand on the right is deep...so gas pocket problem? I did this so that I cousld hide the chiller coil. Any other ideas to keep the chiller coil hidden? By the way what is the danger of the gas pockets? Thanks for the imput all other suggestions are welcome. By the way any tricks to photographing axolotls???If I can figure out how to do it I will post photos of each.

To answer your questions: I am a high school teacher. I teach agriculture and natural resources and we have lots of animals: tarantulas, boas, python, a veiled chamelion, a catfish, trout, koi... The students resaerch the animal and provide the care...so they get lots of care! Kelsey created the care card you see.

I will have many future questions so thank you in advance.

Allyson

Hi Wyogirl,

Perhaps a strategically placed bunch of plants, hiding cave or ornament can hide the coil?

Gas pockets are formed as a metabolic by-product of anaerobic bacteria deep in the sand. The gases normally lend a putrid smell due to high sulphuric content. Besides being unpleasant, excessive gas pocket production can ultimately lead to water quality issues.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back