I'm so excited!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new axolotl tomorrow!
I'm doing a deal with a local shop and swapping my remaining 6 leucistic babies for a 'dark' juvie axie. I've yet to see the axie, so I'm not sure if it's a melanoid, wildtype or something else! (I'm not very 'up' on the different colours!)
Of course I'll be checking the new one is healthy and that my babies will be properly looked after before I do the deal, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I'll have the tank the babies will have vacated to quarantine the new one and if all goes to plan I'll be posting photos soon!

PS. We have already thought of a name for him/her......Paddy as it's St Patricks day tomorrow!

Last edited:
Congratulations Kerry!

We can't wait to see photos of Paddy. *tap, tap, tap, tap* No, no, that sound is not my foot tapping with impatience... :D.

A quick update....

Paddy is installed in the quarantine tank. He is looking a bit sorry for himself, he has nearly all the gills missing on the right side, he has a slightly deformed front leg (I think, haven't actually had a really good look yet because he's still hiding, but it looks like he can't straighten the elbow joint) and he is too skinny, but I'll soon sort that out. He also has one branch of his gills that ends in a 'V' like he has grown an extra bit, it makes him lookthat much more unusual!
I'm not sure what type he is but I would guess a wild type, he is kind of a pale grey, with darker spots. He is only about 4 inches long at the moment so with a bit of growing to do I'm hoping his imperfections will straighten out! If not, he's still cute and he's original!
By the way, I say 'he' but obviously I can't tell yet.

I can't get pictures up yet because he's still shy, hopefully tomorrow he'll come out to say hello!

Aww the poor little guy sounds like he's had a hard time at the pet store. I've got no doubt you will take care of him properly now that he's in your care :happy: Very happy that you have a new addition to your family!

On the other hand, I can't help feeling a little sad for the 6 leucistic babies that are now in the care of that pet shop. I hope I'm not out of line for saying so, and hopefully they have better luck than Paddy did when he was there.

Thanks Tran,
I understand your concern. Actually the guy in shop said they've only just got him in, he was in a holding tank in the back of the store, he told me he was a rescue axie. I have no reason to disbelieve him, the others they had in the front of the store looked in good condition and had bogwood to hide in/under and the tank was cool. The tank was a little small at the front of the shop, but they're only about 4 inches long, so they will be alright there for a while yet, if they don't get sold straight away!

EDIT: added in some photos of Paddy and one of the juvie leucistic in a tube!

Attachments

• axies 006.jpg
    axies 006.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 133
  • axies 005.jpg
    axies 005.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 117
  • axies 001.jpg
    axies 001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Oh thats awesome to hear that! Thanks for the update. You managed to get a picture of Paddy I see, he and your leucistic are both such cuties! Congrats once again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back