Illness/Sickness: 3 Weeks Without Food - This Just Happened?!

coglanuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mark Smith
Hello all,

I have 3 axolotls. The youngest is in a tank on his own as his tank mate died almost a year ago. This axolotl has always been the most energetic when it comes to feeding, however about 3 weeks ago he went off his food.

Hi tank mate was very poorly for four/five months so I knew what to look out for in terms of fluff and signs of infection. This axie exhibited no problems except for lack of appetite. His stomach does not look gaunt like my previous poorly axie, and other than swimming to the surface more frequently his behaviour has not changed.

So after 3 diligent weeks of trying earthworms, prawns and bloodworm, I finally have given in to fridging him. However when I gently caught him in the net and moved him to the fridge container I noticed this lond strand of white fluff that was now coming out of the clocoa area. I had noticed a swelling of the clocoa but not to an extent that made me suspicious.

I assume his has an infection and the physical strain of moving him into the container has caused him to expel some of the built up bacteria.

What should I do?

attachment.php

Attachments

• zagpoorly1.jpg
    zagpoorly1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 360
Is his cloacal area swollen? Do you think it could be a cloacal prolapse? I think the best thing to do is to keep him in the fridge and keep a close eye on him. If it is a prolapse or he gets any worse then a trip to the vet will be on the cards.

Hi Mark,

How long has the axie present with the condition? Was it a gradual process or you noticed it suddenly? Would you be able to provide more pictures of the cloacal region?

Being suddenly inappetant, especially for a voracious feeder is highly indicative of illness and stress. It is a good thing you are fridging your axie now.

I am most concerned about an eventration, whereby internal organs/tissues are pushed out of the body to be exposed to the external environment. If this is indeed the case, im afraid the only way to treat the axie is by bringing it to a vet who can reduce the eventrated tissues and perhaps suture to secure it in place.

Will you be able to bring it to a herp vet around your area? It is considered quite an emergency and its best not to delay it for too long.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it is an eventration as the leakage looked more like the fluffy fungus that I has seen before. Unfortunately the picture makes it look more solid that it is.

I will take more pictures this evening when I conduct the salt bath.

Update and pictures to follow.

Unfortunately the pictures are that poor that it's pointless uploading. I will put the main camera on charge for tomorrow.

The axie is definately suffering from an infection. The fungus is still leaking from his clocal region but is also stuck all over the under edge of his tail and all four feet. He still doesn't have any on his face or gills/frills. His gills has gradually receded to just stumps without hardly any frills on them.

He is still moving around and during the course of the salt bath alot of the fluff came off.

Is there anything more that I can do for him?

P.s. the fluff is white cotton wool type full of small black dots.

Is there any chance that this could be an egg laying female ? I appreciate that even if its female 'things are still not quite right'

The 'fluff' resembles the infection from my other axie from 12 months ago. This axie has been on it's own since.

Can they or will thry produce eggs without male interaction and would that cause them to go off their food for so long?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back