I would like to have a pond full of axies, a little help please :)

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well some of you may of seem i got rid of my 3 rescues last week, i kept have recuuring problems with the pump in their tank. i was very tempted to put them in my ponds, but they are full of newts frogs fishsnakes etc... so that wasnt an option. So my question is.. has anyone made a pond, and successfully kept ALL wildlife (newts etc) out of the pond, and kept all axies from being taken/escaping? If so have you got any pics? Gina p.s It would only be small like my other wildlife ponds, prettymuch left to themselves, and they have gone wild :) 3x4x3 ish..

try searching

use "axolotl pond" as your search criteria...

But in short, yes it possible,

Jennewt built an indoor pond system, which im envious of

thank you

try searching

use "axolotl pond" as your search criteria...

But in short, yes it possible,

Jennewt built an indoor pond system, which im envious of

thank you

oh yea, silly me i forgot that was how it works here... however if people never ask/make new trheads...it would die! (the forum i mean) but yea. thanks. anyone got pics?

I'm planning to put my Map Turtles out in the summer and I've had some thoughts on herp-proofing both sides of the fence. I'll post some pics and info when I do it (unless it's a total disaster!). The pond in question is in a raised bed and practically lifeless since I hired a mini-digger and put in the wildlife pond!

I tried this out a few years back with disastrous results outdoors. Turns out Axolotls are a favorite snack of a street gang of Raccoons, an opportunistic Heron and a shockingly voracious snake... however, you folks not in North America should have no issues with raccoons.;)

I tried this out a few years back with disastrous results outdoors. Turns out Axolotls are a favorite snack of a street gang of Raccoons, an opportunistic Heron and a shockingly voracious snake... however, you folks not in North America should have no issues with raccoons.;)

Not often! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7849012.stm

On the whole we're pretty lucky - no raccoons, eagle owls or possums. As a suburban duck-keeper I consider myself pretty fortunate..

heeheehee here is another option...

This is an indoor pond - similar to one I saw years ago - except that one was made of railroad ties & lined with black pond liner instead of what looks like blue pool liner.

Attachments

• 100_4804.jpg
    100_4804.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 899
  • 100_4805.jpg
    100_4805.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 100_4806.jpg
    100_4806.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 449
thank you everyone :)
the worst we get here is grass snakes, and heron.
herons wouldnt get them as i would keep a ''lid'' on top.. snakes on the other hand, they are more difficult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back