Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: In regards to my filter

Spartacus

Reaction score
I went to the pet store the other day and got recommended a filter for my new tank.
I look at it and am wondering if it is too strong for my axies.
My tank is 121cm long x 38.5 wide x 43 high, but is only filled 34cms high.
The filter is a Hailea internal filter, model HL-BT1000. 1000L/h
Is this too strong? I sit it at the top of the tank so that doesnt disturb the bottom so much. It has either an in-water nozzle that just sprays aerated water into the tank, or a spray bar that sits above the water, however the water pressure that comes out of that is really strong and it sprays everywhere when aimed at the wall.
I hope this information is helpful
Is it too strong?
I dont think its turn down-able. Should I try to swap it at the petstore for a weaker one?
Please help me!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I googled the filter and it seems a good one.

Have you tried the 'in water nozzle' that sprays aerated water option? What was that flow rate like?

If the nozzle of the filter is detachable, you could try engineering your own spray bar (it's just a perferated tube, these can be purchased cheaply from most hardware stores - aquariums also sell spray bars but these tend to be quite expensive for what you get) and run the tube along the entire wall of the tank - this should help diffuse the flow.

Another option is to place an obstruction in front of the spray nozzle, such as a rock, terracotta pot or other bulky tank ornament to break the current.

Could you post a picture of the tank setup with the filter?

Spartacus

Reaction score
The tank is a bit barren atm, Im just setting it up for aging the water. I took a photo to show you the size and the amount of spray coming from the aerated nozzle option. I've had a wee fake leaf sitting on the bottom of the tank and it gets moved around from the flow but it doesnt seem to be too strong. Im just worried cause my axie is so small at the moment.

Would it stress my axie out too much to put the filter right on the ground level and block it off with an ornament or tunnel or something?
At least while its at the top it doesnt make the bottom quite as... flowing.
MmmGerard

I tried uploading pictures but Im not sure it worked. Here's the links if it didnt
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/MmmGerard/?action=view&current=S6304230.jpg
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/MmmGerard/?action=view&current=S6304229.jpg

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
what i done in my tank to lessen the flow is i aimed the outlet towards one of the tank walls, it makes it disturb the water alot less in my tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1