Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Two axolotls finally in the tank

tran

Reaction score
Hi everyone. After having my axolotls for about 4 months, this is the first time I've put them into the tank (due to a series of mistakes on my part messing up the cycling process). The leucistic and the melanoid are in there right now, and are separated by a home made divider because they get snappy sometimes and I'm afraid they will bite each others gills off, accidentally or not. The leucistic has one gill that's forked, and that segment is permanently curled forward. And the white spots on the melanoid are not fungus; I think (hope) it's normal coloration.

Also these pictures were taken the second day they are in the tank, so they might still be adapting.

I'm setting up another 48" long tank for the other two (a golden and a wildtype), which might take many more months. Hope you enjoy the pictures, thanks for letting me share them! Please feel free to suggest anything or comment.

3366526405_2444dbf694.jpg

3367340016_bd1dc66cdb.jpg

3366516001_4a2ce9eb0b.jpg

3367339834_50f823444a.jpg

3367339660_80445fa9f3.jpg

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful setup Tran! It looks an axolotl paradise to me ;).

The axolotls are such a photogenic bunch too. I love those long gills!

tran

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the nice comments. I do love their long gills so I'm extra careful with letting them be around each other. But that sounds like paranoia to some people :D

Also because their tanks are usually dark, using a tripod and a slow shutter speed is the only way to get clear pictures on my camera. I'm just really lucky they decide to stay still when I took those pictures!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tran,

Thank you for sharing the photos. They are very well taken. The tank looks fantastic and gigantic. It can house several axies very comfortably.

Cheers.

kclinton

Reaction score
They look great. They look so health and well taken care of !!!

tran

Reaction score
Hi Tran,

Thank you for sharing the photos. They are very well taken. The tank looks fantastic and gigantic. It can house several axies very comfortably.

Cheers.

Ah yes that was the original plan Rayson, to just have them all in one tank. But then I figured I never want them to breed anyway because they are siblings and because I can't take care of babies, so I'll need to separate them by sex eventually. And then it became two tanks that needed to be bought and set up. I had to get rid of some furniture recently (my dining room table) to fit the second tank in the apartment/flat ;)

I now know what you guys mean when you say "you can always make room for new tanks" haha!

Thank you Jadore and Karrie as well, that makes me feel good hear.

SUZY

Reaction score
Great job Tran !!!
Your babies are growing up and looking beautiful, and so does your tank.

tran

Reaction score
Calendar worthy?! Now I'm blushing!

Thanks everyone. I need to get a little better at this photography thing before they are as calendar worthy as some of the actual calendar pictures that are submitted (which are gorgeous).

b00f

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the nice comments. I do love their long gills so I'm extra careful with letting them be around each other. But that sounds like paranoia to some people :D

Also because their tanks are usually dark, using a tripod and a slow shutter speed is the only way to get clear pictures on my camera. I'm just really lucky they decide to stay still when I took those pictures!

it tends to give them, a wierd glow, but its just due to light passing through the water over the longer exposure...

i cant see the pics, but i know they will be great..

PB is blocked @ my work :(, can you put them in your album?

tran

Reaction score
Right you are about the glow, b00f. If you have any nifty photography tips I'm all ears :happy:

And I just put the photos on my album which is accessible through my public profile. You should be able to see them there.

b00f

Reaction score
Right you are about the glow, b00f. If you have any nifty photography tips I'm all ears :happy:

And I just put the photos on my album which is accessible through my public profile. You should be able to see them there.

I'll PM you. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

tran

Reaction score
That lucistic is stunning! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. It seems people really like the leucistic one. But the melanoid is not too shabby either in my opinion. ;)

As I don't breed axolotls and I'm limited to the photos available on the web, it doesn't seem to me like the white spots are that common in melanoids. Can someone educate me as to whether these spots are normal?

Mitzee

Reaction score
Omgosh, those photos are stunning! They're awesome. :eek:

Oh and the axolotls aren't bad either. :p

silox

Reaction score
Those photo's are fantastic
I really like the long gils
The axie's look very healty
they're awesome
keep posting pics

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1