Necessities for Set up

Hotrod Vampire

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey i just got a new 58 gallon tank and im gunna go with the sand on the bottom..mind you i never owned an axolotl but im waiting on a pair until i have my set-up ready then they will be sent to me. Can someone give me a quick inexpensive rundown of what i should have and not giving me a link;) ahahha

HI,

You really should take some time to read through the links because they provide you with comprehensive and thorough information. Keeping a live animal takes commitment and responsibility and the best way to do so is by understanding them thoroughly.

The no frills tank for a pair of axies will at the minimum require.

- 4 hiding places (logs, pipes, caves etc)
- Preferably a filter (recommend mounted waterfall type or external canister)
- Axie food - pellets, live earthworms, blackworms etc
- Thermometer for your tank
- Water chemistry test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates
- Dechlorinator for water changes

Cheers

Thanks for the help, I won have a problem with chlorine as i use really freshwater that tests 0:D

Last edited by a moderator:
what type of filter /pump would be good....also how does the spray bar setup work and how is it connected

Hi there,

I would recommend an external canister filter or a mounted waterfallt type filter. They have inbuilt pumps. Avoid undergravel filters. Some submersible filters can also heat up the water so be sure to check it out in advance.

A spray bar is affixed to the outflow piping and diffuses the magnitude of the outflow by distributing the flow through multiple fenestrations.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back