Flicking Gills

Shizzam

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone,
my axolotl sometimes flicks his gills back a few times then stops and has bouts of doing this every now and then- do you think this is normal?
Thanks
L xoxo

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Shizzam,

That is normal and is not a cause for worry. The flicking motion facilitates oxygen exchange.

Cheers.

i think thats just normal , i see mine doing it sometimes,and it doesn't appear that anythings wrong with them.

Yes, occasional flapping of the gills is normal.

Axolotls are very lazy creatures. Rather than going through the effort of swimming to a part of the tank that has a supply of fresher water and oxygen, the axolotl will instead flap his gills in order to move the fresh water and oxygen past him.

Last edited:
Sometimes very ill axolotls will constantly flick their gills (flick, 1 second break, flick, 1 second break, flick, etc) but occasional flicking is normal as has been said.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back