Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moomins gills are weird.....

Moomin

Reaction score
A while back i posted athred about my axie moomin having curley pale gils. Well...they straightened out, they're still pale...and they're shrinking!?!?

Is he turning into a salemander? Hes bright and happy still, eatting fine, swimming about perfectly happy. The brushes on his gills have almost gone:S Water specs are fine i cheaked them all.

EEK

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Miss Bikealot

Firstly, great name, great series of books. Axolotl gills curl forward as an indicator of stress. This can be caused by a number of different things including water quality and flow or noise. They will also change colour depending on the amount of oxygenated blood there is. When they are active their gill filaments are redder and the opposite when they are inactive.

Disappearing gill filaments is not a good look. Normally its a water quality or predation issue. Do you have any tank mates in with your axolotl?

It is very unlikely that your axolotl is turning into a salamnder, but stranger things have happened. Can you post a picture of the damaged gills?

Clairey Beary

Reaction score
Im having a similar problem with my wildtype. I was feeding them last night and noticed one of his gill filaments had shrunk to half the size....it is only one filament and doesn't look like my leucistic has bitten at it..... it was normal size the day before....strange.

Claire

Moomin

Reaction score
I tested the water and everything as far as the tank was concerend and its fine, also the filter isnt strong at all, its faceing towards the tank wall to so theres near no flow.

No tank mates, i tried before but he just killed it :S

I can't get a photo of moomins gills but heres apic thats very simaler.

d_leucistic1.jpg
< like that only without the small fluffy bits, theres jsut a few bif fluffy tube liek things.

Hes stil eattin and swimming. Could it be theres too much oxygen in the tank so his gills are getting smaller. The gills are straight now just really small :S

Quetzacoatl

Reaction score
Gills of my leucistic looks the same as the picture, but my wild type axolotl has still big gills, so I think it´s caused more by their genetics than by the water.

(sorry 4 my English :wacko: )

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Miss Bikealot.

From your phot it looks very much like you have a healthy well adjusted axolotl. I can't see any signs of trouble with its gills, filaments or stubs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1