Some help if you can

newton09

Reaction score
Country
England
Was wondering if someone can help on a few queries.

Have been feeding my newts mainly frozen bloodworm as usual, but now and again feed them live bloodworm.
Anyway, for some reason, recently my newts wouldnt eat this live bloodworm, and after a couple of days, the live bloodworm was just left alone and started to get like hairs on them and now needs removing, however, I can't find a way to scoop this out.

Also, last night the other half mentioned that she could smell 'stale water'.
Is it easier to keep a lid on this at all times, apart from to feed them, as I think the smell from the tank when the lid is open is too strong?
However, I have got a tub next to my tank with 9 or 10 eggs in which haven't yet hatched, so don't know whether it could be that that's causing the smell?

Last question, have read through how to look after the eggs etc ... just can't seem to find anywhere that mentioned the temperature of the water when they are eggs, and when they hatch. Might be a daft question, but just need to make sure.

- I have 4 FBN's, in a 2ft wide, and just over 1ft high tank, and intend to keep all the Newts in there as well once fully grown up.

Was wondering if someone can help on a few queries.

Have been feeding my newts mainly frozen bloodworm as usual, but now and again feed them live bloodworm.
Anyway, for some reason, recently my newts wouldnt eat this live bloodworm, and after a couple of days, the live bloodworm was just left alone and started to get like hairs on them and now needs removing, however, I can't find a way to scoop this out.

- I have 4 FBN's, in a 2ft wide, and just over 1ft high tank, and intend to keep all the Newts in there as well once fully grown up.

get a turkey baster, there the best thing never made for the hobby. There like large pipettes and u can get them in most places that sell cooking stuff. Just suck up the mess

how longs the tank? I only see measurement for width and height

I would do a partial (25%) water change ASAP and syphon the **** & dead bodies off the bottom at the same time. Perhaps only then wait a couple of days until you do another partial to get water clean and stable again.
Good luck
Tony

Do you have a filter? It sounds like the smell (if that makes sense!) is probably nitrite..

Have read on the 'removing poop' thread about the turkey baster, so I am going to get one after work. I am going to do a water change tonight (25%) also, once I have removed the untouched food with the turkey baster.

Would be hazarding a guess at how many gallons etc ... my tank is. But its 36" wide, and 15" high and 12" long, (knew I had the measurements somewhere!).

Sorry yes, I have a filter, and seems to be the smell does get strong when I put that on.

Do you have a filter? It sounds like the smell (if that makes sense!) is probably nitrite..
Not nitrite. Nitrite isn't volatile. The smell is the decay of the dead bloodworms producing ammonia and giving that "bloodworm-flavoured" stench. The advice you've been given so far is good - remove the dead matter. Unless you have a very large filter, adding a significant amount of dead animal matter to a system will shock it enough that it won't be able to deal with the increase in nitrogenous waste and you'll kill your newts.

Regarding the lid, you should have a lid on at all times unless you want the animals to escape.

The filter is very small.

Note added about the lid. I have read about the 'Houdini like' ability to climb, so will be keeping it shut at all times from now on.

If anyone has any help on the below, I think all of my queries are sorted!!

Last question, have read through how to look after the eggs etc ... just can't seem to find anywhere that mentioned the temperature of the water when they are eggs, and when they hatch. Might be a daft question, but just need to make sure.

Same temperature as the adults and probably about 2-3 weeks total are the answers.

Cheers for the all information, appreciate it!

Just 1 last query really, just observation: What temperature does everyone else have for their newts?

Cheers for the all information, appreciate it!

Just 1 last query really, just observation: What temperature does everyone else have for their newts?

my chinese fire belly newts live at between 15-20C (depending on the time of year) there about 17 or 18C at the moment

Same here - Both mine running at 18c(ish) at the moment. Your problem could be keeping the temperature down later IF we get a summer this year - LOL

Same here - Both mine running at 18c(ish) at the moment. Your problem could be keeping the temperature down later IF we get a summer this year - LOL

Mine is exactly that. Was just making sure I was reading off the same hymn sheet (so to speak) as everyone else. Only thing I wonder is, how when changing water daily in a container with the 10 eggs would you keep the water temperature the same as the tank, when its being changed daily?

We've had a very, very cold winter, with the worst snow in years etc, so going by that rythmn, we should have a very, very hot summer (YEAH RIGHT!)

I always prepare my change water the day before i need it and keep it standing in an open container next to the central heating in the house. By the time i use it there is very little temperature flunctuation in the tanks when i carry out a 25% water change.
Heres looking forward to that HOT summer in the UK - Ha Ha

i use bottled water (tesco 15p for 2 litres stuff). water stands in my room and is the same temp (ish) as my tank

i use bottled water (tesco 15p for 2 litres stuff). water stands in my room and is the same temp (ish) as my tank

How would you get the bottled water temperature to that of the temperature in the tank?
Sorry, just making sure because making my eggs in the container the same temperature as my tank I would need another heater to put in there I think, as I use a mini heater at the moment to get the heat to the required temperature.

If you have a small tank thats fine at 7.5p a litre. However, both my tanks together hold 140 litrs. So a weekly 25% water change is 35 litres used. This done 52 weeks a year is 1820 litres at 7.5p equals £136.50. I think I'll stick to treated tap water - LOL :D

If you have a small tank thats fine at 7.5p a litre. However, both my tanks together hold 140 litrs. So a weekly 25% water change is 35 litres used. This done 52 weeks a year is 1820 litres at 7.5p equals £136.50. I think I'll stick to treated tap water - LOL :D

Sorry, no good with litres, gallons etc ... what measurements are your tank?

I think you will find the tesco bottled water, is probably straight from the tap! :D

Have read on the 'removing poop' thread about the turkey baster, so I am going to get one after work. I am going to do a water change tonight (25%) also, once I have removed the untouched food with the turkey baster.

Would be hazarding a guess at how many gallons etc ... my tank is. But its 36" wide, and 15" high and 12" long, (knew I had the measurements somewhere!).

Sorry yes, I have a filter, and seems to be the smell does get strong when I put that on.

If you're not running your filter 24/7 then it will not be working biologically. The filter bacteria need oxygen to survive and remove ammonia and nitrite. Run your filter night and day and it will mature up and smell sweetly!

My six Chinese FB's are in a 120lt three foot tank that is only 2/3 filled with water (80lts) to a depth of about 11". This provides a good airspace between water level and the lid and with weekly water changes i have not suffered with any nasty smells when lifting the lid. I also have an airstone on the go at all times to oxygenate the water and this probably helps. So if you do not have a good airspace above your water level i can only suggest you get a taller tank in the future.

How would you get the bottled water temperature to that of the temperature in the tank?
Sorry, just making sure because making my eggs in the container the same temperature as my tank I would need another heater to put in there I think, as I use a mini heater at the moment to get the heat to the required temperature.

i keep it in the same room as my tank the room temp is about 17-18C the eggs dont have to be exactly the same temp just in the same ball park

i only use it for my smaller eggs/raising tanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back