Will this filter suck up the sand and mess it up?

Derm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Derm
Filter question

will the Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filters suck up the sand and mess up the motor cause i noticed that the slits where the water enters the filter is pretty big on the 15-40 gallon models.

Re: Filter question

Hi Derm,

I am not familiar with this type of filter. However if you keep the intake above the sand level I shouldn't imagine you will have a problem. Trial and error I guess.

Good Luck

will do i was thinking of putting a smooth rock underneath thank you

Hi Derm,

Placing a rock underneath the intake is a good idea. I think just as long as you place your intake a significant distance from the sand, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are still concerned, perhaps you can wrap a mesh gauze netting over the intake point?

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

Cheers

thanks i'll give the rock a try when i get a bigger tank next month and if that doesnt work i'll see about the mesh cover

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back