Question: Investigative project

rich

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
rich, axie newbie, help please :)
Hi guys and gals, I am writing a paper for college titled ''The advantages and disadvantages of captive breeding of axolotls'' and I was just wondering your thoughts on this. P.S I don't mean your thoughts on me writing the paper, I mean will you discuss with me what you believe the advantages and disadvantages are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ivestigative project

Hehe that would be giving you the answer isnt it? Why not you list what you think and then we can generate a discussion from those points raised.

Cheers

I agree with Ray, it would be nice to start from your ideas and I'm sure folks here will have some others. Also, are you limiting your discussion to the UK, or looking at this on a global level? I think some of the advantages and disadvantages are specific to certain countries.

As this is a large part of my course, i am doing it on a global scale giving me more to write about, as i can list specific A/D for differnt locations around the world. And as much as i respect you not giving me the answear I do feel this is very mean, making me actually work for my diploma (hehe im joking).
(In brief)

Advantages
Use in the science world (regeneration, large cells, seethrough when born etc)
Axolotl will never become extinct, and the more bred will hopefully lead to more knowledge which can be used in wild conservation on the species
Axolotls are a good class pet, teaching responsibilities

Disadvantages
Breeding - Inbreeding, welfare conditions relateing too some breeders, lack of knowledge
Moral/ethical views of testing on animals
Fear of introducing alian/invasive spcies to local environments, also the fear of sub-species happening between axolotls and tiger salamanders (how ever unlikly and as of yet is only known of in labratories, the threat is still there -hope im correct in saying this)
Animal welfare suffering due to 'suprise gifts' and lack of knowledge, regarding to pet owners, suppilers and breeders.

These are what I can think of off the top of my head without looking at my notes. And thanks in advance to any discussion on these topics raised.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back