Question: Spring Water Harmful?

sgbeadore

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased some month old axolotls, and thought that spring water would be the best option for them to live in at first. I read on axolotl.org today, though, that spring water is a hostile environment for axies. Is this true? If so, what would be the best alternative? I put them in the spring water yesterday, and they seem to be doing fine, so should I take them out and replace the water with something else?

Bottled distilled water is bad. Bottled spring water is good if it has a reasonable pH. The article Will linked explains in more detail.

However, unless there is something seriously wrong with your tap water, I would recommend using it (but only after adding an appropriate de-chlor product and letting it sit out for a day). Using bottled water all the time is a drag (all that buying and lugging home), and there is rarely any problem from tap water.

does bottled water have to be dechlorinated?

No, bottled water does not contain chlorine.

I think it's mad that the people that we buy potable water from are happy to sell us water full of chlorine, but it kills tadpoles! (I know from experience 2 weeks ago before I knew better I killed 50 tadpoles by using water straight out of the tapo!)

Yet we are expected to drink it.

Iam sure if it kills amphibs it cant be all that good for us.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back