Hope i did the right thing??? with pics

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so I went fishing today (didn't catch much:(), and I saw a guy fishing down aways from me, so I walked over to him to see if he was having better luck then I was having, and he said "No". He then said he was going to put his special bait on, so I asked him what that was, and he said "I'll show you". So he opens up a bucket that I figured it would have some worms, shiners, crayfish or something like that, but to my surprise it was 7 redback sals. I was not too happy about this, because I am now into keeping sals and newts, so I asked the guy why he was using them, and he said "because they work".

I then asked the guy if I gave him my shiners if he would let them go, he said no. I then offered to buy them off him, so he said "Okay, $2 each". I gave him the $14 and was going to let them go, but when I picked them up to let them go, I noticed that they were skinny, and very very very dry. I asked the guy how long he had them, he said 3 days :eek:.

While in the bucket, the sals have had no moisture, so instead of letting them go, I brought them home and put them in a 10 gallon fish tank with damp moss, a nice piece of slate, a small log that I found in the woods, and some very very small worms which I also found in the woods.

I haven't seen them eat, but I'm hoping they do soon. I'm going to order some springtails and I am going to the pet store tomorrow to get some pin head crickets.

I'm hoping to let them go in a couple of weeks, but I hope I'm not breaking the law by having them in the first place. I live in MA, so i looked on masswildlife.org to see if it was okay to have them, but it didn't say one way or the other:confused:.

Can some one help? And, did I do the right thing by buying them, and trying to save them, or should I have just let them go as soon as i got them out of the bucket?

Here are some pictures of the tank i mad for them please make suggestion on how to make them feel more at home. Sorry for the bad pictures my camera sucks.

Attachments

• Joseph's pic's 002.jpg
    Joseph's pic's 002.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Joseph's pic's 004.jpg
    Joseph's pic's 004.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Joseph's pic's 003.jpg
    Joseph's pic's 003.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by a moderator:
They don't look to skinny to me. Redbacks aren't the chubbiest animals to begin with.

I would have done the same thing. I have them in my backyard and I kept a few alive in the house one winter with springtails. I think mine also eat the small black slugs that are also common back there.

When i took the picture they had eatin some crickets and i think the water help because as soon as i put them in there they plumped up.:p
They don't look to skinny to me. Redbacks aren't the chubbiest animals to begin with.

I just hope i didnt break any laws. But even if i did im ok with that because i feel i did the right thing. Ill have to order some springtails because ive been feeding them pinheads but would like to give them a variety of food. But i really dont want to touch a slug:lol:
I would have done the same thing. I have them in my backyard and I kept a few alive in the house one winter with springtails. I think mine also eat the small black slugs that are also common back there.

Tell me where that guy lives and I'll put him on a hook and see if the fish like that :p.

You absolutely did the right thing - right on! People are just plain ignorant! Way to go for standing your ground and not turning away...I'm w/ John and Justin - cast the creep out!

Dana

I once was at a park where a young girl was collecting Notos to sell as bait...I made her look at their little faces and told her how some people keep them as pets. It was a bit of a lecture, I hope I made an impression.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back