Question: new Fire salamanders will not eat

salrushdee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. 2 of my 3 firesalleys have survived 6 days now,but they will not eat.I've tried redworms,crickets and bits of nightcrawlers,one is skinny the other looks average.Is this a adjustment period,or should I be concernd. Any advice on different foods? or is patience what i need. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Keep them cool (under 70°F,) dark, and plenty of hides. If they don't start eating after a couple of weeks then it is time to be concerned. What is the source of these animals?

Travis

What Travis said is spot on. They need to be disturbed as little as possible, and they need low light levels to feel comfortable.
If i understood correctly in the other thread, this salamanders are WC. This means they are going to give you trouble as you are experiencing already. Bare in mind this salamanders probably have parasites, are incredibly stressed from the importation, and very possibly have been kept in terrible conditions which means they either carry or are developing some kind of illness.

Giving them a variety of foods, tranquility an plenty of hiding places is pretty much all you can do. Be prepared, because there´s a chance they won´t eat..or get used to captivity. This is sad but it happens....

When I first got my FBNs, I was very concerned as they did not eat for what seemed like a couple of weeks. A year later, they're ravenous. Good luck. I don't know much about salamanders, but the other posters do and seem to be in agreement - dark, quiet, patience...

Good luck,
Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back