Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

please help!

sib

Reaction score
hey, im looking after my friends axolotl (boris) for two weeks while shes on holiday. the problem is im pretty new to the 'world of axolotl' and i dont really know whats normal behaviour and whats not. today is the third day ive had him and also the most active he has been. my main concerns are that he seems to be floating towards the top of the tank and also towards the filter. I'd like to know if its okay to turn the filter off and that he would still be okay. also i was woken up by him this morning to what sounded like him jumping out of the water and falling back in, is this normal? my friend never mentioned any of these things to me and i dont know weather to be worried or not! thanks alot! x

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Sib,

Axolotls are quite inactive most of the time. When they are not they do things like you have described. Floating up to the surface is quite normal. I would not turn the filter off.

Sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep posting here if you have any questions or doubts.

Good Luck

axolotl86

Reaction score
My axolotl floats towards the filter quite often because food swirls around that area. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Axies are strange little creatures who sometimes float when the mood takes them. The only warning sign that comes to mind involves floating towards the filter because the oxygen concentration is higher near the outtake flow, (meaning possible water quality issues in the tank). But most likely this is just a little axie quirk. As for the jumping up sounds, axies makes quite a slurp when they eat. Maybe this is what you are hearing.

I guess make sure the tank is not too warm and that the water looks clear (ish) and clean.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sib,

Occasional bouts of activity is normal provided it is not of a frantic nature. An axie swimming up to the surface for a gulp of air is normal but darting about wildly and then floating on the surface of the water for prolonged stretches could indicate a problem, such as water quality issues or temperature fluctuations.

Please do not turn off the filter. The filter aerates the tank and supports the growth and viability of beneficial bacteria in the tank. Do ensure there is no excessive currents though. If aquatic plants are swaying, that indicates too high a water flow. You can diffuse it by turning the filter setting lower, facing the outtake towards a tank glass surface, diffusing the flow with strategically placed rocks or use of a spray bar.

I hope the tank has a lid on. Axolotls can jump and the last thing you want would be to find a struggling dessicated axolotl on the floor. I have attached a link about holiday care of axies.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vacation_care.shtml

Cheers.

sib

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks so much for all your help, i really appriciate it. It took boris till arround 8 this morning to finaly settle but he seems alright now, he's still floating arround quite abit though. The water seems abit cloudy so im going to change about 20% of it tommorow (because i dont want to disturb him now he is settled) Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!